Chapter 7

Where am I? It was pitch black, I couldn't see my hand if it were a centimeter from my face.

"Riley, where are you? I'm going to find you!" Oh no. Not again. I got away from here years ago!

A door creaked open and a line of light flooded the room I immediately knew where I was. I was in my old bedroom.

"There you are you stupid whore." My father spat at me, cigarette dangling in his mouth. Ever since my mother left us when I was 8, my father would abuse me when he got drunk, so pretty much every night. I screamed as loud as I could, trying to get away, but he grabbed my hair and pulled me back. I fell into him and he grabbed my shoulder tightly, causing me to scream out in pain.

"Only wimps scream when they're in pain." He said slowly shaking his head. I stopped my screams but my tears didn't stop coming. He punched me in my gut and I fell forward at the impact.

"Don't cry! You know I disapprove of it!" I wiped my eyes quickly, but I couldn't stop. I lied on the ground in a fetus position to try and hide my tears. He kicked me in the back and I screamed again. He crouched down beside me and grabbed my throat. I can't breathe.

He lifted me from the ground, my legs flailing around trying to find something to stand on. He squeezed tighter and I thought my head was going to explode from lack of oxygen.

He set me down roughly and grabbed the cigarette bud that was still in his mouth.

"Daddy, please don't! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry! I don't know how to stop it!" I tried to reason with him, but I only made it worse.

"Then maybe this will teach you not to." He grabbed my arm and pulled my wrist facing him. Before I could even realize what he was doing, there was a pain unlike I had ever felt before.

It was so hot I began to freeze where the lit side of his cigarette was placed on my arm. I screamed louder than I ever had before, more tears finding their way down my face.

"It's for your own good." He whispered and everything went black.

I woke up screaming and shaking. I was being cradled and I flinched at the contact.

"Shhh you're okay. It's Amanda. You're alright. Shhh" Amanda tried to calm me but I couldn't stop crying.

I looked around, my eye sight blurry from tears. I could make out three other figures in my room all surrounding the edge of my bed, looking worried. It was Legolas, Gandalf, and Elrond. I scoffed in my mind, I really don't want them to see me like this, but I guess it's too late.

I finally stopped crying after a while of Amanda whispering soothing things in my ear. She knew about my dad and my past, she was used to this.

I lifted up my long sleeve to look at my forearm. That was a memory of the first time my dad burned me, it wasn't the last.

I ran my fingers delicately over the burn wounds, blowing on them as if they still hurt. They felt like they did. Every time I would dream about that they would feel as if they were fresh wounds all over again. I looked up after my arm stopped tingling to see the three people who knew nothing of me looking at my arm with blank expressions.

I quickly covered my arm again and they all looked at me. Legolas was the first to speak up, "a-are you okay?"

He still looked completely shocked. I didn't know what to say, so I stayed silent.

"What happened?" Lord Elrond asked. I looked at Amanda and she looked at me as if saying I don't have to tell them, but I shook my head. "It's okay." I reassured her. She nodded and everyone looked at me again.