Chapter 18

It feels as if I am trapped underwater. I can’t move any part of my body, but it hurts every time I breathe; like there is something pressing down on my chest, not allowing my lungs to get the oxygen they require to function properly. All I see is pitch black, all I feel is a soreness that runs through my limbs. I can’t see them-my arms or legs or body- but I know they are there because I can feel the blood rushing through my veins: throbbing.

There is nothing to do other than count every breath I take- I’m on 12,438 as of right now. As time ticks by slowly, I count more and more breaths. I don’t get tired or hungry or bored, it’s actually quite entertaining if you make it so. At roughly 630,000 breaths I begin to feel tingly, causing me to lose track of my number and start freaking out.

It was like going underwater in a warm bath, then breaking through the surface and breathing fresh air for the first time. My eyes shot open and my body jerked upward, making me sit up straight. I had goose-bumps all over my arms and legs, but my body quickly adjusted to the new temperature. My chest heaved as I gratefully took in gulps of the correct amount of air. My hair was stuck to my face and neck from the sweat that must have formed while I was asleep.

The room was soaked in the orange sunrise that faced directly through the window. My eyes scanned the room, taking in every detail they could manage. The walls were made of brownish stone that mixed well with the orange glow the sun gave off. The bed I was lying in was white and matched the sleeping gown I was currently wearing. One post stood on every corner of the large bed and they towered over me, almost touching the arched roof. There was a wooden wardrobe that had swirls and designs carved into the double doors.  The window to my right was large, but it did not have a balcony to walk on and look over the trees that covered the horizon.

My legs yearned to be used to walk and run and jump as they had once before, and I had no intentions to disappoint them. I tore the sheets that bound me to the mattress and hesitantly placed one bare foot on the concrete floor. It was cold, causing my foot to cringe away at first, but I placed it down once more and smiled as the stone touched my skin. Excitement flashed across my face and I let out a small squeal of delight as I stood up, stumbling momentarily, but gaining balance easily enough. It was as if I were riding a bike after going without one for years; foreign, yet familiar and easy to do once the memories flooded back into my mind.

I laughed, feeling giddy and bubbly and overall extremely happy. As soon as I started walking, I had to run, and then jump, then dance, and then whatever else I chose to do because I could actually do it. I raced to the grand double doors, and pulled them open, feeling the need to run as fast as I could for however long I was able to. As I threw them back, I jumped out into the abandoned corridor. I ran as fast as I could to the corner, then spun in circles until I couldn’t spin anymore because I might fall from being so dizzy. I laughed loudly as I leaned against the wall, trying to catch my breath.

My gown stuck to my legs as my hair did my cheeks. I could feel them flustering as I let out all my upheld energy after however long I was asleep. I began to leap and run again, when a voice echoed through the hall, “Riley?” it said in disbelief. I turned quickly towards the velvet voice I hadn’t heard in so long that stood at the other end of the hall.

“Legolas!” I ran as fast as I could to him, wanting to hold him and touch him and kiss him, show him how much I missed him while he was away. He stood still as I lessened the distance between us; shock was written all over his beautiful features as I literally jumped onto him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist and kissed him with longing lips. His body didn’t stay petrified as he put his arms around my back, keeping me against him and pulling me closer.

Our kiss was passionate and fierce, lighting a fire in the pit of my stomach and making me want him closer than he already was. My hands ended up tangled in his hair, while his still held me up. I didn’t notice he moved until my back pressed against the wall. I didn’t complain as his tongue forced my lips apart and explored my mouth. He broke the kiss far too soon for my liking, and pressed his forehead against mine.