Chapter 23

“Does this happen often?” A voice muttered.

“It used to; it hasn’t in a while, though.” Another replied.

“Shhh I’m trying to sleep.” I told them, my eyes still closed.

“Wake up lazy ass. Everyone’s worried about you.” Someone kicked my leg. I flipped that someone off with my eyes shut tight.

“Well, she hasn’t changed.” A familiar voice laughed.

“I hate you all.” I reminded them, opening my eyes. People were surrounding my bed.

“How long was I out?” I asked Amanda, who was standing next to my head.

“Twenty minutes, give or take a few.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“Damn.” I muttered. “You guys look extremely happy to see that I’m alive.” I noted sarcastically as I looked at all the unhappy faces around me.

“I swear you have more near death experiences than I do.” Legolas said from the opposite side of my head.

“You sure know how to please a girl.” I beamed at him. He gave me a wink and I choked with laughter.

“Now we know you won’t fall back into a coma, I have a kingdom to rule, excuse me.” Thranduil exited the room. My eyes rolled on their own accord. Mom was seated in the corner of the room, only half paying attention to the scenario.

“Do you think you could give us some alone time?” I asked the three other people in the room. They nodded, and left without a word. Elrond gave me a reassuring smile as he shut the door after they had all gone.

“I’m sorry I was such a bitch to you. You didn’t deserve it, and I know that. I was just angry and disappointed that you left. I never really thought of a possibility that you didn’t have a choice. If you’re still willing to tell me, I’d like to hear your side of the story.” I rambled while she silently sat curled up in the chair, eyes on me.

Silence filled the air, and neither of us said anything for a minute or so, and then she got up and walked towards my bed. It dipped at the end from her weight. Her legs hung neatly over the edge, her hands lightly clasped in her lap, and her back straight. Then she sighed loudly and fell back. I barely moved my legs out of the way when she landed, her hair cascading around her on the blanket.

“When I was younger, I lived here, in Middle-Earth. I was princess of Brethil, but I didn’t want to be. I would have much rather been wearing jeans and a t-shirt and relaxing all day, though back then I didn’t know that life existed.” She paused and laughed. “Then, I finally plucked up the courage to tell my parents about my choice. I was going to leave and never return, they laughed and ignored me.” She closed her eyes.

“Then what happened?” I asked, playing with a strand of my hair.

“I left. I ran and hid for months. They sent guards and elves after me, but I was always quick enough to get away. I hated running. I wanted to settle down and start a family, possibly own a bakery for money. A wizard found me, and told me of a place far away. A place unlike any I had ever seen; filled with unlimited amounts of dreams and chances. I was intrigued, at the least, I told him I’d do anything to go there. So, he named his price and I paid it.” She stopped.

“What was it?” I questioned.

“A necklace. One worth more than you’d think possible. With it, he would be the wealthiest man of our world.” A sigh left her lips. “I gave it to him in a heartbeat. He told me that when I was needed here, because I would be, I would be forced to come back. He told me I’d know it was coming because it would feel as if I could think of nothing but home. Then eventually, I would find myself here.” That’s where her story ended.