Chapter 17

Weeks turn to months and yet there is still no word from Legolas or any of the Fellowship. Many of the elves in Rivendell have left for the Undying Lands; Arwen left a few days ago and came back earlier today. Elrond scolded me for not telling him she would return.

“I want to go with you.” I say to Elrond. He is watching two elves reassemble the sword of Narsil.

“I do not know what you are talking about.” He replies, still looking at the work in progress.

“Yes you do. You are going to take Aragorn his sword and you are taking me with you.” I move in front of him, forcing him to look at me.

“It will be dangerous.”

“You let me jump off a cliff!” I reminded him with bewilderment. He sighed before shaking his head, “I had no control over that. Amanda brought me to you as you were jumping. I have the option to prevent you from getting hurt, I will use whatever power I possess to choose that path.”

“You are not my father. You can’t boss me around, that’s for your own kids.” I cross my arms over my chest.

“Over the course of you being here, I have become your guardian and I do have the power to keep you here.” His tone rises, making me feel smaller.

“I don’t need your protection. I learned how to take care of myself over the years.” I mutter. He takes a deep breath and his voice goes soft again, “Riley, it is too dangerous. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you on my watch.”

I looked up at him with the best puppy dog look I could muster, “Please? I have to see him. I have to know he is okay and safe. I can’t go on with not knowing.”

While I was talking my puppy eyes faded and I began to cry. I honestly don’t know if he is okay. For all I know, he could have died long ago. More tears fall at the thought of losing him forever. Elrond wipes my tears gently, but more replace them. Needing any form of comfort, I wrap my arms around his waist and cry into his shoulder.

Since I got here, he has gotten used to my random hugs and no longer tenses when I attack him without warning. He places one arm around my shoulders while the other one strokes my hair, and whispers soothing words as he places his chin on the top of my head.

He really has become a father figure to me. He gets angry when I do something reckless and sends me to my room, or gives me fatherly advice if Amanda and I argue. He is the father I never had and always wanted.

“I’m sorry. All I’ve done since I got here was complain and push everyone away, because that’s what I’m used to. It’s what I do and every time I try to push you away you don’t leave. You always come back. Maybe that’s just because you’re a dad already and its simply second nature or possibly you actually care about me and don’t want me to be alone. Either way, I’ve been an ungrateful sack of organs and I am sorry.” I say before adding, “Wow, I think I just had an epiphany.”

We both laugh before he responds, “You have every right to complain about whatever you wish, you are young and it is what you are meant to do. You are meant to be wild and free and nonchalant. I will always come back because I have grown fond of both you and Amanda. I do not believe you have been ungrateful since your arrival: you have been the opposite. You brought joy to Imladris through these dark times. You have calmed the children who are scared because their parents left for battle. You have been nothing but help to my home, and I am glad you stayed. And I will take you with me to deliver what rightfully belongs to Aragorn.”

“Really?” I beam.

“Yes.”

“I am going to miss you so much!” Amanda attacks me with a giant bear hug. “Please say hello to everyone and tell them I miss them.” She continues. I nod into her hair as a hand is placed on my shoulder. Elrond stands behind me, dressed in a traveling cloak and a simple tan colored robe. He gives me a look that tells me it’s time to go, and I nod again. When I look back to Amanda she’s crying.