Chapter 11

It took us three days to file back down the mountain. It took us one day to find the entrance. It took us thirteen hours to figure out how to enter the mines. It took us thirty minutes to fight the sea monster. It took us less than a minute to get locked in Moria. It took Pippin three minutes to alert the goblins of our arrival. It took over 2 days to escape them. It took a second for Gandalf to fall, with one final echo.

“Fly, you fools.”

    *    *    *    *    *

My face is scratched. My wrist is sprained. My legs are tired. And I do not want to be on this adventure anymore.

The pain Gandalf’s death brought onto the fellowship is gruesome. I know he comes back, but his fall hit me hard. It felt as though I would never be happy again.

Legolas had his arm around me, attempting to comfort me. We are sitting on the rocks just outside the mountain, and no one is talking. Minutes feel like hours, and I can see Frodo walking away.

“Legolas, get them up.” Aragorn demands.

“Give them a moment, for pities sake!” Boromir yells. Legolas stands up, pulling me with him. I stand and wipe my face. Amanda is next to Aragorn, a blank expression written on her face.

“By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs! We must reach the Woods of Lothlorien.” Aragorn replies, rushing back towards us. I walk to Sam and help him stand. He doesn’t wipe his face, and I don’t say anything to comfort him. I walk away, towards Amanda, and grab her hand with my not sprained arm.

“Frodo? Frodo!” Aragorn shouts after him. He stops in his tracks and stands there for a moment. He slowly turns around and walks back towards us. I feel bad for him, but there’s nothing I can do.

Legolas comes and stands beside me and Amanda, grabbing my hurt hand gently, careful not to hurt it. I give him a look of what I hope is reassuring, but I’m not really sure that’s what it looks like. He let’s go of my hand and I do the same to Amanda. He has each of his hands on my shoulders and leans in slowly and places a soft kiss on my forehead.

I look up at him and we both walk forward in silence. Aragorn leads the way to Lothlorien, and quietly we all follow.

The days it took to get to Lothlorien were happier than I thought they’d be. No one cried over our lost friend after the first day. No one really spoke about what happened, but I didn’t expect them to. Our moods seemed to lift more as we entered the woods.

“Stay close, young hobbits, they say a great sorcereress lives in these woods, an elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell, and are never seen again.” Gimli whispered. They seemed to pick up the pace after hearing those words. I smiled back at them, because I knew he was talking about Lady Galadriel.

“Well, here’s one dwarf she won’t ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox.” He was stopped by an arrow being pulled at his head. I stopped just before one of the arrows pointed at us impaled me in the neck. I let out a quick sigh of relief, one more step and I would have had an arrow in my throat!

Legolas was pointing his arrow at each elf that came towards him, but there were too many.

“The dwarf breathes so loudly, we could have shot him in the dark.” Haldir stepped out of the shadows. I tried to hide my inner fangirl as well as I could. I loved Haldir! He was one of my favorite elves.

They led us to their kingdom, arrows still aimed at each of us. I guess they didn’t trust us much. We walked in a line up stairs made completely from tree. I gazed around, flabbergasted by its beauty.