Chapter 12

I wake up before the sun has risen. My back is still to Legolas’ front. His breaths are slow and even; he’s still asleep. Actually, everyone but me is still asleep. My mind is racing with one particular thing that Legolas said last night. ‘I will love whomever I choose to love, and he will not stop me.’

His father is very powerful. If Thranduil didn’t want Legolas to be with me, he wouldn’t let him. That’s not even the real reason why it can’t happen and I’m overthinking it. If I should overanalyze anything, it should be the fact that I can’t stay here. I have to go back home after this quest is over. Even if I don’t know how.

I wonder if Lord Elrond would approve of me staying. He most likely wouldn’t.

The sun peaks through the branches of the trees and I take that as a sign to get up. I gently unwrap myself from Legolas’ grasp. He turns over, putting his back to me, and I smile slightly. I tiptoe past the sleeping hobbits and make it out of the door.

I stretch my arms above my head and yawn. Maybe I could find a pond or something to bathe in. I begin my search, making sure to mark different places in case I get lost on the way back. I can hear the sound of a rushing stream and a small waterfall. I push a few branches aside and face the small river. I strip off my clothes and place them on a fallen tree stump. If someone comes by, I can hide behind a few rocks until they pass.

Thinking I won’t have much time, I ease my way into the cold water. I can feel the goose-bumps find their way to my arms, and swim towards the small waterfall; sticking my head underneath it. I let it drench me as I run my hands through my tangled hair. I don’t have any soap, but I’ll take what I can get.

After getting the stained dirt removed from my body, I decide it’s time to get out and see if the others are awake. I slip out of the water beside my clothes and put them on, not even wiping my skin of the formed bubbles of water that scatter across me. With my hair still a tangled, wet mess I make my way back to Lorien.

It’s easy enough to find the tree-room we’re staying in. I can hear muffled voices through the bark and enter as quietly as I can.  I’m immediately bombarded with questions from Amanda about where I was and how I could leave without telling her and how I just about gave her a heart attack. I laugh and tell her about the river.

“Ooh! A shower sounds great! Where’s it at?” She asks, completely forgetting her panicked mood. I point out the directions to her and she leaves as soon as I’m done.

“Do you want some breakfast, Riley?” Merry asks from his spot in front of the burning fire. My stomach lets out a loud growl, and the hobbits laugh. I turn as red as a lobster and walk towards them, getting a plate of sausage. I sit down on a log and listen to Sam sing a song about eating. Soon Merry and Pippin join in and they begin dancing around the fire as I clap to the rhythm.

Once their first song ends, they begin another and another and soon enough it is midday and they have run out of songs they can think of. Looking around the room, I see that Legolas is missing. I decide to just let it go for now and go and sit beside Boromir and Amanda.

“No way! A dwarf would definitely win!” Amanda states evidently, waving her hands in front of her, creating random gestures.

“Sorry lass, but I must disagree. An elf is quick on his feet and handy with a bow.” Boromir argues.

“What conversation did I just walk into exactly?” I question. They both look at me as if they just realized I was sitting here.

“We’re trying to decipher who would win in a fight: a dwarf or an elf.” Amanda informed. I nodded slowly, thinking about it.