Chapter 25

The thunder echoed through the empty halls as the lightning lit it up for a second, before it went back to darkness. I bit my lip and continued to walk towards the dining room. A particularly loud clap of thunder had me bolting full speed down the corridor. The shoes on my feet were light and I was grateful for that. Whoever invented these is a fucking genius.

I was too busy running that I didn’t see the silhouette of the person standing there before it was too late. I fell to the ground with a thud. The other person barely even staggered. “Oh I’m sorry!” I apologized. Then I got a good look at who it was.

“Well are you going to help me up?” I asked him with raised eyebrows. Legolas laughed and grabbed my hand, pulling me to my feet. “Thanks.” I smiled.

“Are you going to explain why you were running down the corridor like a madman?” Elrond asked from the dining table. I rolled my eyes. Then another bang of thunder came, and I screeched, clasping my arms around Legolas’. “Thunderstorms: not my forte.” I stuttered, still holding onto Legolas for dear life. My body was shaking, and Legolas must have noticed because he wrapped his other arm around me, stroking my back gently. I buried my face in his side, taking in his scent and attempting to calm my breathing.

“Let’s go somewhere without windows, yeah?” He asked softly. I nodded because I didn’t trust my voice, and he led me back down the hall. As we got further away from their prodding eyes, he repositioned himself to wrap his arms around my waist. I leaned into him, and closed my eyes: allowing him to guide me blindly to our destination.

I opened them back up when I heard the click of a door being opened. It was tiny; no bigger than a walk-in-closet. I gave him a questioning look and he shrugged. “It’s the only place with no openings I could think of.” He explained. I nodded, and entered fully. He followed suit, pulling a candle from one of the shelves along with a box of matches. Once the candle was lit, he put it on the lowest shelf and sat down, patting his lap with a smirk. I laughed, but did as I was told.

My head rested against his chest as he hummed lightly. A soothing sort of lullaby, I think. He rocked back and forth slightly, barely noticeable, but enough to calm me down. My breathing slowed as I relaxed, and we sat there in silence except for his soft tune.

“You’re going to be a great father.” I stated quietly after a while. It took him a second to reply.

“You think so?” He asked. I could hear the grin on his face. I shifted so I was looking him in the eyes. They were a gorgeous blue in the fire light, and for a moment I was mesmerized.

“I do.” I replied. The words felt different coming from my mouth. I wonder what it would be like to say them to him at the end of an aisle. A beautiful white dress on me, him, dressed in blue robes so they compliment his eyes. When I pictured it, I couldn’t help but smile.

Me marrying Legolas. Wow. That makes everything seem so real. We would get married, have kids, live happily ever after. I never imagined myself being one to live like that. It made me feel giddy inside.

“What are you thinking about?” He asked. I blushed, realizing I had been caught. “Nothing” My voice was too high.

“Tell me.” He laughed. I hid my face in his chest again. “It’s embarrassing to talk about.” I muttered. He stopped laughing and got serious. His hands gently forced my face to look at his.

“I love you. I will always love you, no matter your thoughts. Whether they be embarrassing or not, you can talk to me about anything and I will not judge you. You are perfect in my eyes, and nothing will ever change that. Do you understand?” His gaze was hard to hold, and I closed my eyes. I didn’t know I was crying until he wiped a stray tear from my cheek.