Ruin the friendship 9

Christmas marathon 2/5

Demi's POV

"What...?" I whisper, trying to make my heart rate slow down, but it simply won't. Am I living a dream, or a bad nightmare? Somewhere in between, probably. "What?" I repeat, even more breathless. "Damn it Joe, you can't just- just come back into my life and say that!"

"I'm sorry," he says, inching closer to me and grabbing my hand. I shudder at his touch, the old sensations flooding back. He can't do this to me... He can't break my happiness and make my heart skip a beat again... He can't make me fall in love with him all over again. "Demi," he says, the word coming out of his mouth beautifully, while my stomach twitch. "I mean it," he insists, eying me intensely, "I know it's not the best timing, but I'd do anything to get you back."

I swim away from his grip, and take a step back. If I stay this close to him again, I'm afraid I won't be responsible for my future actions. He just looks so beautiful standing there, gosh, but I can't think like that. We are over since seven years, and we're not about to get back together. He's too late. Or isn't he?

"Say something, you're scaring me," Joe pleads, his eyes so desperate and sad that I think about taking him back for a second. But only a second. Because he doesn't deserve me.

"No, Joseph..." I breathe, my voice almost failing and my knees weak. He has to stop doing this to me. Or I won't be able to control my feelings and my urges anymore. "You're too late. I'm finally happy with your brother, don't ruin it."

"No, no, you're not," Joe objects, in denial. "I see the way you're looking at me; you still feel something for me..." He suddenly pushes me to the wall, half-gently, half-agressively, and traps me with his body. "Don't tell me you don't feel anything, because it'll be a lie," he warns in my ear with his husky voice, while I try to contain myself from attacking his lips and taking him right there.

"I-I... Joe," I stutter, slowly losing my mind, but he immediately shush me with his finger.

"Shhhh..." He gently cups my face and smash his lips against mine, sending a wave of electricity down my spine. Our tongue battle against each other for what feels like hours, but is in reality a few minutes. I couldn't think, only feel. Feel his delicious taste. Feel his burning skin against mine. Feel his arm wrapped around my waist, and his hand on my cheek. Feel like he's mine again, after all these years.

Suddenly, I take knowledge of what we're doing, and abruptly pull away. I can't believe I cheated on my new boyfriend, who's ironically his brother. I'm a horrible human being.

"Why did you stop?" He asks, breathless, still holding me tightly.

"You're a fucking asshole, you know that?" I spit to him, the tension between us so high that I can't take it anymore. "You're playing with my heart since the beginning of time!" I suddenly yell to him, following my impulses of hitting him. He doesn't flinch, he doesn't even blink; he let me hit his chest several times until I get tired of it. "I hate you!" I snap, trying to hurt him as much as he hurt me.

"You don't," he says as a matter-of-fact. "If you do, you will throw me out of your hotel instead of responding my kiss." Not waiting for me to recollect myself, he boldly grabs me by my waist and pulls me towards him once more. "I love you."

For one second, I almost believe him. My eyes reluctantly meet his, and my heart stops beating. He seems so sincere, so genuine, like he'd really do anything for me. But he proved me in the past that he wouldn't do so. I wipe off this moment of weakness with difficulty, and push him away with all my strength left.

"You're a monster!" I blurt out, my eyes sending daggers and my arms shaking with emotion. "Why do you always want to ruin my life?" I continue, the words coming out uglier than I intended to. His eyes widen with surprise and regret, and I decide to clear everything out for once. "I loved you, Joe! I gave you everything since you were my best friend and boyfriend, and all you did was to throw it away! Do you know how I felt the day we broke up? Like shit, like I was a waste of space, like I was unwanted by everyone on Earth! And the worst is that you knew about my struggles, you knew about my suicidal thoughts, you knew about how I needed you, and you still left me."