Ruin the friendship 8

Christmas marathon 1/5

Demi's POV

My heart torn and in pieces, I mechanically cook breakfast for Nick and I. Last night has been like a dream; I'm not even sure of what happened myself. After making out with Joe for God knows how many minutes, we both just awkwardly ran away and never talked about it. He left for Montreal, to be back with his girlfriend, and I can't help but feel abandoned all over again... Which is irrational since I also have a boyfriend. I can't believe I cheated on Nick with his own brother during our couple-celebration house party. But he didn't even attend the party himself... It still doesn't give me the reason to cheat.

Feeling like utter shit, I slump down the chair, thinking of ways to get out of this situation. Should I tell him that I cheated? I have always been a fan of honesty in a relationship.

"Don't beat yourself up about it," Marissa sighs, installing herself next to me. "Everything happens for a reason."

I let some tears of guilt roll down my cheek, cursing myself for surrendering to Joe. I broke my promise to never fall into his trap ever again, but I failed.

"C'mon, Dee. You know that your relationship with Nick is not meant to last," my best friend whines, but her words only infuriate me more.

"What do you mean?!" I rage with the irresistible need of flipping the table. "I just got together with the man of my dreams, and now everything's ruined because of a mistake."

"Your kiss with Joe was not a mistake!" Marissa objects, face palming. "It's actually supposed to be a wake-up call! You guys are still in love; even a blind person coud see it."

"Shut up," I plead, burying my head into my arms. "Tell me, why is my life always so complicated?"

"Simply complicated," Marissa jokes, before chuckling at her own pun. "Ah, I'm so funny in the morning. You're lucky to have me." She pats my back, affectionate, as we hear some steps behind us.

"Hey, I'm back," Nick announces, throwing himself on the last empty chair. "I stayed in a hotel room last night, but it was so unconfortable that I barely slept. I'm sorry I missed our house party, baby, how did it go?" He leans in to peck my lips, but I decide to give him my cheek in the last second. "You're mad," he points out, arching his eyebrows and sitting back on the somptuous chair.

"Of course I'm mad, Nick," I snap, my words coming out as cold as I intended to. "How embarassed do you think I have been? Every invitee asked me about you, and I had to lie about your absence! Car issues, huh, but I don't think anyone believed me."

"You couldn't have come out with a better excuse?" Nick complained, rolling his eyes arrogantly. "You could've said I was sick and in bed."

"Are you saying that it's my fault?!" I explode, making Marissa take a step back and stare at us with wide eyes. "It's your fault, Nick! What were you thinking to schedule a photoshoot on the day of our party? And let's not talk about speeding up and getting caught by the police!"

"Excuse me, I have a career, and this photoshoot is important to me!" He argues back, offended. "And I speeded up to be on time for our damn party! I didn't think the police was there! Wrong place, wrong time, that's all!"

We stare at each other in silence, shocked and speechless after our first real fight. Marissa nervously scratches her neck, and tries to discreetly fade away from the scene. Nick stands up and comes to hug me.

"I'm sorry," he says, and I feel all the pain in his voice. "I don't know what's wrong with me these last weeks. I constantly feel paranoid. Maybe the relationship wasn't a good idea as we thought it'd be."