You don't do it for me anymore 7

"I will be fine."

Joe stares at me with worry, but I shoo him away with my hand.

A month passed since I woke up from my coma, and everything is so much better now. I'm trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle as much as I can even if it's sometimes difficult.

I haven't thought about my mom negatively or how she abandoned me. I haven't thought about how Selena kicked me out like I didn't mean anything to her. I distanced myself from drugs and alcohol; I haven't even seen it yet after my terrible overdose. I also attended every group therapy session because it helps me heal. 

I can tell that I'm moving on and putting the past behind me. Recovery is possible. 

"Are you sure?" he caringly asks with frowned eyebrows. "You can come to the hospital with me; my coworkers won't mind at all."

I contemplate his offer for an instant but end up shaking my head vigorously. I can't depend on him too much or stay with him 24/7. I have to learn how to take care of myself properly and grow up as an independent woman. 

"Yes I'm sure," I say with a smile. "You don't need to worry about it. Don't you trust me enough to know that last time won't repeat?" 

Joe observes me attentively for five seconds, trying to judge how sincere I am. "I do trust you," he finally caves in. "Just be careful. If you feel threatened in any way, don't forget that I'm one call away. I will be back for supper."

I faintly nod my head as he quickly kisses my forehead just like he always does. It comforts me and he knows it. I can't seem to figure out how I feel about him yet, but it's not something I want to think about too much. He makes me happy and that's the most important thing. 

After he left, I think about what I should do for the day. I could watch TV but that's not something productive. I could learn how to cook, but I honestly don't feel like it. I could go somewhere to have fun, but I don't wanna spend the money that Joe does so much to earn. That's when an idea starts to form in my head. What if I visit Selena? As much as I hate her, I owe her a lot and I'd like to make sure that she's alright. 

Grabbing one of Joe's warm coats, I lock the door and make my way towards Selena's apartment. I know the way all too well... With each step I take in the snow, I remember how it was to live there. It feels like another universe, but it was only a few weeks ago. 

"Demi!" I hear a voice say which makes me turn around. 

It's our old neighbor from downstairs, miss Carey, someone who used to furnish me drugs. I used to call her my grandma when I was under the influence of cocaine. Now, looking at her high expression, messy hair, and dirty clothes, I wonder why I've ever been her accomplice. She needs help, just like I did. 

"My little girl! Where have you been?" she fakely beams, slurring her words and approaching me a little bit too much. "I haven't seen you since such a long time! Do you need anything?" she winks exaggeratedly, implying something we both know. 

"Mariah, please don't," I plead as I see her about to take out her purse full of drugs. "I don't need it anymore, and I think you should do the same as me. You know, throw it away and get clean."

"What the hell?" she screams, surprised and angry at me. "Who are you and what have you done to my little Demetria? Drugs are awesome, amazing, incredible, heart-lifting, life-repairing!" She let out a loud laugh that scares me and makes me take a step back. 

"Uh, I gotta go." I don't give her the time to answer that I turn around and run into the apartment as fast as I can. I still have Selena's old key after all.