Ruin the friendship 3

Joe's POV

I end my Facetime with JinJoo after she told me how the rest of DNCE and she are having the time of their lives in Rio de Janeiro. For a few moments, I wish I chose to travel with them, instead of sitting alone in Sophie's apartment. My girlfriend is not returning from work before supper, and Nick left the city around noon as fast as he came, so I have the whole afternoon to myself.  

I could simply relax and enjoy the sunny day outside, but I don't particularly want crazy fans to invade my personal space because trust me, there are some in Montreal. Privacy is an important value for me, and I believe it's something really precious for every celebrity in the world.

Suddenly, I hear my 'Bruno Mars- Easily' ring tone echo through the living room, and answer it without glancing at the ID. "Hey baby," I greet, assuming that it's Sophie. "What's the matter?"

I furrow my eyebrows when I only receive an awkward silence, but my questions are quickly replied when a familiar voice almost send me off the edge.

"Uh, Joe... It's me. Demi."

She didn't need to say her name; I could recognize her angelic voice from miles away since it always makes my heart flutter. But now, the only thing I'm wondering about is why the hell is she phoning me. We've been ignoring each other for months... I don't want to get my hopes up, but is she interested in me again?

"Are you still here...?" Demi queries, her voice trembling. "Joe...?"

"Yeah," I breathe out, surprised that I can still speak. The nerves are already hitting me like a train; what if she's actually here to yell at me? Yes, that's probably what's gonna happen. With her, I only mess up.

Just because it doesn't come easily, doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I try to push my ring tone's lyrics out of my head, but there's a specific reason why I chose that song in particular. But Demi soon speaks again, interrupting my wild thoughts that are still going thousands of miles per second. 

"Can you open the door? I'm waiting here for at least twenty minutes..."

Bewildered and my knees weak, I run to the window as rapidly as my legs let me. There, I find my ex-girlfriend standing at my doorstep, before waving at me with a crooked smile. I don't waste time to skip downstairs and open the damn door, but I can't help but wonder why.

Why is she here, and why didn't she even warn me about her sudden visit until now? My brother, did the same thing a few hours ago, what's the matter today?

"Hey, it's nice to see you again," I truthfully say when I open the entree's door. "You're welcomed to come in."

She looks at me smiling, and bites a little bit her bottom lip, almost shyly, but she doesn't move. We stand there on the threshold gazing at each other for what it seems like an eternity. She's even more gorgeous than in my memory if it's even possible. Her hair extensions flow beautifully behind her shoulders, her simple summer dress embraces her amazingly her curves, and good lord, those mesmerizing eyes...

How could... How could I not love her? She's more and more beautiful as the days pass.

"Well, first of all, I'm sorry I didn't announce you my arrival earlier. Let's say it was unexpected as for you, as for me. But I'm not here to hang out or anything, it's more important... I wanna talk about my relationship with Nick."

Her expression turns rather serious, leaving me speechless and somehow jealous. Why does the conversation always come back to my brother? I thought she's here for me, us, but apparently, she's not.