Sexy Dirty Love 8

The automatic door opened as she walked into the oh-so-familiar skyscraper one last time. She peered at the sign on which the name of Joe's business company was written in golden letters, and felt a little bit of nostalgia and regret. Even though she was happy to leave this place, it genuinely meant a lot to her.

Camila, the secretary, barely looked up at her. "I heard the news," she coldly said, mentioning how the assistant quit. "You can go to Mr. Jonas' office if you want your salary, and don't forget to give back your uniform. I hoped you enjoyed New York, and have a nice flight tonight."

"My flight is in two days," Demi hesitantly corrected, her heart aching as she thought about it. It was her only choice left, and the best for her.

"Well, it's certainly the last time we see each other..." Camila finally gazed up at someone who used to be her friend, and emotion was clear in her eyes for a second. Then, she turned stone cold again and looked down to her computer. "Good luck for whatever you're aspiring to do."

Demi nodded, and bit her lip. She stood there for an instant watching the secretary type, wanting to say something but not knowing if she should. Suddenly, she built up some courage and asked: "Do you believe in the rumors?"

"What rumors?" Camila dumbly repeated, trying to act innocent. "And I don't have time to chat with you, miss Lovato."

"The ones about me being a gold-digger," Demi sternly responded, disguising how disturbed she was

"The ones about me being a gold-digger," Demi sternly responded, disguising how disturbed she was. "Do you believe that I, someone you know since years, am a bad person?"

Camila tried to keep an indecipherable face, but ended up sighing and tossing her mask aside. "I know you're an amazing person, Demi, but you can't deny that you involved yourself into a relationship with our boss. It's not something all of the workers here can ignore. Dura lex, sed lex."

"What?" The black-haired woman blinked, a little bit confused. 

"It's an expression in Latin," Camila explained, taking off her glasses. "The law is harsh, but it's the law; that's what it means."

Demi unconfortably nodded, remembering that Camila spent four years of her high school learning that particular language. There was a short silence for a while until the young Latina woman finally cracked a small smile, and shook her head.

"I didn't know you had a crush on Mr. Jonas all along, Demi, but all I can say is that you seemed happy and content these last few weeks. I'm not defending you or anything, because dating him is unforgivable, but take it as an old friend's advice. If he makes you that happy, don't let him go or leave New York."

"Thank you, Cabello," Demi sadly said, feeling the stinging pain in her chest once again. "It's not possible, unfortunately. He used me, he broke me, and he won't ever gain back my trust."

"I know what happened," Camila insisted, biting her bottom lip. "I mean, everyone heard about it here and there. Joseph was raised like that, you know... This company means the world to him and his family, and it would have been a disaster if he abandoned it. That's why he chose it over your relationship, if we could say it like that; he didn't want to disappoint. It's his duty, after all."