Chapter 24

Ashton pulled over at the hospital. All four of them got out, Calum didn’t let go of Robin’s hand. He needed to make sure he was alright.They walked into the building and met Cedric inside in the waiting room. He looked scared and his hair was a mess from tugging it. Cedric blamed himself for everything that had happened. He thought that if he'd be a better dad to Zoe, this wouldn't have happened. If he opened his eyes for once and noticed what Elise had done to his niece, nothing would've gone wrong.

"Daddy!" Robin squeeled and ran over to the tall man. He crawled on his lap and wrapped his tiny arms around his neck. Calum, Jenn and Ashton walked up to him.

"Is she alright?" Calum asked nervously. 

"The doctors are busy. They'll be here soon." Cedric said softly and sniffled. He had been crying the whole time. The thought of losing Zoe was killing him. It was all his fault.

They all sat down and waited. The clock on the wall was ticking loudly and it annoyed Calum. He groaned and rubbed his face with his hands, going through his hair afterwards. After a while, the doctor came out with a small, sympathetic smile on his face. All of them shot up from their chairs and walked over to the doctor.

"She's alright. Only a couple of bruises and a huge headache. She might have got memory loss, but we can't say that yet. She's still asleep." The doctor explained. All of them sighed in relief. Zoe was alright, that's all that mattered at that moment.

"Can we see her?" Cedric asked. The doctor nodded and the group walked past him into the room he had just gotten out. There she was, in a white hospital gown and bruises up her arm. They looked so bad. Ashton shivered. He remembered when he was the one lying there. Jenn grabbed his hand and squeezed it. She looked at her best friend. Never had she seen her so fragile. She blinked away a tear while Cedric and Calum scurried over to her side. They both took one hand and Calum placed a kiss on her knuckles. They felt so cold. Tears started to form in Calum's eyes. 

"This is all my fault." He mumbled and let the tears fall.

"No, Calum. It's not." Cedric started. 

"I promised her grandmother I would make sure she didn't get hurt. I broke my promise. It's all my fault." His voice became louder and his tears started to fall quicker.

"Cal, it's not your fault okay?" Ashton came in between the two. Calum shook his head.

"It is my fault, Ash. I promised her." He cried.

"Calum, it really isn't your fault. If we're going to blame someone, it has to be me. I should've seen how unhappy she was, I should've noticed Elise doing this to her. Everytime I came home after work and Elise had been home for the day, Zoe always had red cheeks and bruises on her arms. I thought she had bumped into something and used a lot of makeup on her cheeks. But she didn't. I should've noticed. It's my fault."

"Cedric, don't blame yourself, okay? It's nobody's fault. Nobody knew." Jenn said. She was a clever girl and always knew what to say to make people feel better.

All of them cried for a minute until a nurse came in. She checked everything she had to check and left the room, sending everyone an apologetic smile. Zoe's eyes fluttered open and she blinked a couple of times to adjust to the light room. She had no idea where she was or what had happened. Her head hurt like hell. She brought her hands up to her temples, wincing when her arms hurt as well. She saw the bruises and wondered what had happened. She then saw all of the people in the room. She didn't recognize them.

"W-Where am I? W-who are you?" She stammered. All of them looked at her confused. Then they remembered the doctor saying something about memory loss.