Chapter 6 - Tricky Emotions

Dhruv Goel walked in Nishant's office calling his name

Dhruv Goel walked in Nishant's office calling his name. But, Nishant did not even respond. He was standing beside the window looking out at Aparna waiting for the car. 1 week had passed since their recognition handshake and in these past days they had managed to become only good friends.

His admiration for her had grown by manifolds in the past 1 week as he had seen her handle everything with precision, whether it were client meetings or crisis situations at sites. Even though, they had managed to spend most of their time together but still she had only kept to business all the time. He could sense that there was a certain hesitation in her that always deterred her from coming close of him. He had seen that hesitation slip away a little when they had gone to Khurana Maur City.

Nishant clutched the table end hard thinking about how her body had reacted to his touch, when he had dragged her in his arms. Her bunched fingers on his shirt and those gorgeous eyes had betrayed the emotions raging inside her. Had it been anywhere else, he would have given in to the burning urges in his body that day, but controlling himself, he had let her go with a lot of difficulty. Shaking his head, Nishant tried to block the rising turmoil in his blood as the images flashed his brain one by one.

Aparna sat inside the car and he turned away from the window, closing his eyes. Tipping his head, he sighed hard without realising that he was not the only one in the room.

"What's wrong with you?" Dhruv asked frowning hard.

Nishant opened his eyes with a start and gathered his senses.

"Nothing."

Sitting down on his chair, he found Dhruv, his childhood friend looking at him with strange scrutinising eyes.

"Are you by any chance missing Rushali?" he asked, smiling slyly.

Gritting his teeth, Nishant felt like hurling abuses at him but only gave him a scathing look.

"Why are you here?"

"I needed you to sign the revised contract for Khurana Maur City. I believe you already had a word with them a week ago."

"I am waiting for Aparna's report on it. So, no signing."

Dhruv looked at him and couldn't help but smile. Having known him since school days, it felt a little strange to hear Nishant depending on someone. Being the head of legal for Naik Builders, he had always marvelled on Nishant's prompt decision making, which had never involved anyone else's opinion, not even Naresh Uncle's or Vikrant Bhaiya's. So, how come it's different this time?

Coming close to him, he looked straight into Nishant's eyes.

"So, Aparna Mathur is the new head of architecture. Interesting."

Frowning, Nishant got up from the chair and asked, "What's interesting about it? She is the head, so I am waiting for her final report. Once, she gives it go through, I'll sign the papers."

"Why are you defending yourself? Did I ask for any explanation?" Dhruv asked clearly sensing something was wrong.

When he did not reply, Dhruv sat down on the sofa and tapped his hand next to him beckoning Nishant to sit down. Once, he sat down, Dhruv circled his arm around his shoulders and pulled Nishant closer.

"You can tell me," he said softly smiling in a mischievous manner.

Nishant smiled and mockingly punched him in the stomach, knowing too well that Dhruv would not let go of this topic so easily.

"Let's go for drink."

*************************

Aparna sat down on the sofa with a cup of tea after a long day at work. Opening her laptop, she looked through her emails once, and then opened her prepared report on Khurana Maur City. Going through the points, her mind drifted to the day she and Nishant had visited the site. After the initial introductions, their paths had separated as she had stayed at the main site talking to the workers and surveyors while he had gone to the owner's office. He had appeared suddenly out of nowhere once she had finished her rounds.

He had listened to all her observations intently without interrupting even once. When she had suddenly looked at him while talking, she had caught him looking at her with a strange expression in his eyes. There had been something in that look, which had instantly pulled her to him. But with all the clanking and shouting around them, the moment had been shattered immediately.

Aparna shivered and hugged herself as she thought about what had happened after that. She and Nishant had been standing listening to one of the surveyors at the back of one the wings when suddenly she had moved sideways and lost her footing. If it hadn't been for Nishant then she would have fallen flat on her face. But the thing that was making her shiver now was his electrifying touch, which she had felt when he had clutched her hard in his arms.

The warmth of his chest along with the hard pounding of his heart had actually taken her breathe away. The arm circling her back had charred her skin wherever it had touched. But, when she had looked up in his eyes, she had first seen fear and then it had turned into something she did not want to name. When her fingers had clutched his shirt with effort, she had seen him slowly lowering his head towards her, but suddenly he had let her go.

Heaving a sigh, Aparna, closed her eyes and tried to analyse what was it that was pulling her towards Nishant? What hadn't she stopped him that day when she had sensed that he was about to kiss her?

All of sudden, why did she always feel super excited to see him?

Why did it matter so much to her when he smiled and nodded his consent for every decision of hers?

Why did her look and what she wore to office matter to her so much now?

Why did she feel happy when she was with him?

Oh, God! The endless whys kept zipping through her mind till, she was not able to take it anymore. Not wanting to wake Madhu and Harish, she crept inside her room silently with her laptop and tea and sat down on the bed. Opening her laptop again, she tried to focus on the work at hand.

If only that was possible!

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.