Chapter 93 - No Meaning Without You

The afternoon rays filtered inside the room through the small opening in the curtains and fell on Nishant's face. He winced and buried his face more into the cushion hoping to block the rays as long as he could. But it increased with time and eventually he gave up. Straightening, he blinked and finally opened his eyes.

His vision was still blurred as his slumberous state had not left him. He rubbed his eyes and got up from the sofa. Instantly everything whirled around him forcing him to sit down. His head hurt along with the ridge of his nose.

Nishant tried to breathe but couldn't. Everything was blocked. Sighing, he looked for his bag but couldn't locate it anywhere. Somehow, he managed to get from the sofa but again everything swirled with severe intensity, and he sat down giving up the struggle.

"Nishant Bhaiyya?" Lakshman called from the door, peeking through.

As Nishant held up his left arm and gestured him to come inside, a sharp pain zipped past the muscles making his face twist in pain.

"Are you okay?" Lakshman asked looking at him with concern.

He just nodded and regretted it instantly as the jarring increased the pain in his head.

Dammit!

"Where's my bag?" he asked his voice thickening with the impact of the pain.

Lakshman found the bag and handed it to him.

Nishant took out the medicine strips and tore off two. As Lakshman handed the water to him, he swallowed two of them and rested his head on the side arm and closed his eyes. He could feel the feverishness of his body increasing.

Lakshman looked at him helplessly as Nishant pressed his temples in pain.

"Nishant Bhaiyya, you should eat something. You didn't even have the milk."

Nishant opened his eyes and shook his head.

"I am not hungry. Just draw the curtains. I'll be okay. I just need some sleep."

"Then, sleep on the bed. You will be more comfortable."

He looked at the bed and shivered remembering each and every moment spent there in her arms.

"NO! I am fine here. Just draw the curtains."

Saying this, he grabbed the cushion and turned on his side, burying his head in it.

************

Aparna was waiting at the bus stop for Prakriti when she noticed a car stopping on the opposite street. She kept on looking at it till her daughter's bus arrived and then she got so engrossed in the rumblings of Prakriti that she forgot about it.

They entered the bedroom and Prakriti started to jump on the bed excited as hell about something.

"Mama, where are we going tomorrow?"

"For what sweetheart?" Aparna asked as she came and started to undress her.

"For my birthday," Prakriti replied frowning.

Aparna's hands froze in the mid air as she remembered the date.

It's his birthday too.

She collapsed on the bed as the memories of the plans they had made for this day flooded her mind. She closed her eyes trying to control the tears threatening to escape.

"Mama, where will we go?"

Aparna cleared her throat and said, "We will go somewhere, sweetheart. Now, please get dressed."

Prakriti was eating her food when Aparna heard the doorbell. As she opened the door, Harish stepped in and she looked at him with surprise.

"What are you doing home so soon?"

Harish gave her a surprised look as he kept his bag on the table.

"Aparna, come on, you'd only asked me to come early today. Don't you remember?"

She frowned and tried to remember but just couldn't.

"It's okay if you don't. I believe you have also forgotten that you need to go to Rajput Constructions to submit the designs."

Aparna sat down on the chair and held her head between her palms.

How could she have forgotten such an important thing?

She quickly got up and rushed into the bedroom to get dressed. But as she was slipping into her jeans, she heard her daughter talking to Harish and again remembered it was her birthday. She picked up her phone and set a reminder for the cake and gift.

What about him?

Aren't you going to wish him?

She closed her eyes as she heard her mind playing these questions again and again. As she stood in front of the mirror, she clutched the edges hard trying to quash the rising turmoil inside her.

Aparna picked up the kajal pencil and was about to apply when suddenly she gave up. Her eyes were red from all the crying and nothing, not even a vibrant stroke of kajal could take away the pain from them.

She put down the kajal and picked up her bag. Suddenly as she turned, she felt someone pull her back and instantly her senses got bombarded with his scent.

"Apply it," she heard him whisper in her ear as her back collided with his chest.

Tears ran down her eyes as she shook her head and felt him turn her towards him. She felt his fingers caressing her cheek and tipping it up.

"Look at me."

Aparna opened her eyes and the moment she did that she was lost. The dreams of the night along with the pain of seeing him with another woman doubled in her heart and she clutched his shirt lapels hard, not willing to let go.

"Why are you doing this to me? Why do you keep coming back?" she asked as he wound his arms around her.

"Coz you want me to. Now, put on some kajal."

Aparna shook her head and felt him pull her closer. His breath collided with hers and she breathed hard as he tightened his arms. She whimpered as his lips landed on her cheeks. Suddenly his tongue snaked out and he started to lick the path of her tears. Finally, when he reached her eyes, he kissed them and kept licking the fresh tears as she sobbed.

"Why?"

She pulled her face away from him and looked up. The look of protest in his eyes took her breath away. As she palmed his face, he lowered it towards her.

"Because without you this kajal doesn't have any meaning."

As she saw him lowering his lips to her, she tiptoed for it.

A loud bang and Prakriti's blood-curdling scream pierced through the silence in the room.

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.