Chapter 73 - The Storm Brews

After a month or so, Aparna finally managed to get a job. The salary wasn't much but something was better than nothing. By far the job wasn't much also. All she was supposed to do was take care of the appointments and manage the work of the office boss.

She had just reached office after having her lunch and was settling down when the peon came and informed that the boss was looking for her. Sighing, she picked up her notepad and started walking towards his cabin.

But as she approached the area, she saw some of her co-workers standing near the door with their ears pressed to the door. The moment they saw her coming, they separated. One of her female co-workers gestured her not to go inside.

Frowning, she was about to turn the doorknob to open the door when the sound of a loud slap echoed around the office. Then, the door opened and a female colleague of hers came out adjusting her shirt. And, her boss was standing in the middle of the room red faced.

Aparna's eyes narrowed as she understood what had happened. She did an about turn and briskly strode to her desk. Then, picking up her bag, she left the office.

She had just reached her cottage when her phone started to ring. She looked at the caller ID and recognised the number immediately.

Naik Builders!

At first, she thought of disconnecting the call but then she answered.

Aparna was staring in space after the phone call had ended. It was Kalpana, Head of HR. She was enquiring about when she would return to office.

For a change, she wasn't irritated but the situation seemed a little out of bounds. In the present state of things, she knew what she had to do.

**************

Nishant looked at the papers in front of him and his eyes narrowed aggressively as he read through them. It had been a month he had returned to Delhi and since then it had been only work and work. His left hand was still plastered. As he moved it a little through the sling, the sting of sharp pain zipped from his shoulder all the way to his brain.

He closed his eyes trying to appease it and then picked up the papers and a pen drive from his desk. The moment he got up, Siraj was there beside him. Nishant handed him the papers and asked, "Have you told everyone?"

"Yes, Bhaijaan. Everyone is waiting for you at the apartment."

Nishant got down from his car and saw Dhruv's car entering the parking lot.

Dhruv turned off the ignition and picked up the papers from the seat as he got out of the car. He looked at Nishant and nodded clearly indicating everything was done.

Nishant quickly brushed through the papers as all three of them went up to his apartment. The moment he strode out of the lift, he saw his brother pacing up and down the hallway.

Vikrant saw him and nodded his head indicating that the thunderstorm had already started. Nishant's jaw hardened with determination as he stepped inside.

Well, that's good. He was ready to add a lot of lightening to that storm.

He entered the hall followed by Siraj and Dhruv. Flicking his gaze around the room, he saw his parents along with his sister-in-law sitting on the sofa, looking tensed. And, on the adjoining chairs were sitting Rushali and her father, Virendra Sharma. Just as Rushali saw him, she got up and came towards him.

"What is all this, Nishant?"

He looked at her and his lips twisted in a smile but his eyes still had a steely gaze. As he stared back at her, Rushali slowly moved away.

"Dad, you had called off the security from Aparna's place because Rushali and Virendra Uncle insisted, right?"

Naresh Naik nodded lowering his head feeling guilty once again.

"Don't feel bad, Dad. You just listened to your friend," Nishant said looking at Virendra Sharma.

"But, you know what your so-called dear old friend did? He stabbed you in the back."

"Nishant, you are insulting me. Naresh, tell your son to apologise," Virendra Sharma said getting up from the chair as his eyes flared with anger.

Nishant just smiled and came near him. He stretched his hand towards Dhruv and he handed him some papers.

"These are the balance sheets for Sharma Architecture for the last 5 years. Just have a look, Virendra Uncle."

But, instead of looking at them, Virendra Sharma kept on looking sternly at Nishant, who nodded and flicked through the papers.

"For the last 5 years, Sharma Architecture has been on a verge of bankruptcy. Correct me if I wrong, Uncle, but you haven't paid salaries for the past 6 months?"

Virendra Sharma kept on looking at him but the look in his eyes had changed from anger to something he had never felt before.

Fear!

"So, basically, if the merger between Naik Builders and Sharma Architecture happens then it will be a 360-degree turn for you."

When Virendra Sharma still did not say anything, Nishant looked at his father and said, "So, you see Dad, it's not us but them who need this merger."

Suddenly, Virendra Sharma erupted with indignation and took the papers from Dhruv and tore them off.

"These papers prove nothing. Everything is going great with my company."

"Oh ho! Virendra Uncle, you want some more papers to show your anger? Dhruv, the copies!"

Dhruv handed the photocopies to Virendra Sharma who just shoved his hand and looked at Nishant.

"Nishant, you are still a kid. These papers mean nothing. The merger is happening after you and Rushali get married. You will sign the merger papers and Naresh will make you do it," Virendra Sharma said with confidence.

Till now, Nishant had tried his best to keep his cool, but as he heard him, rage and hostility bubbled inside him, and he lost his patience.

"There will be no merger. Not now, not ever."

Virendra Sharma just smiled at him mockingly and placed his hand on Nishant's shoulder.

"Don't fight it. It will happen."

Closing his eyes, Nishant gritted his teeth and breathed hard as burning rage boiled inside him. He opened his eyes and looked at him.

"I said, There. Will. Be. NO MERGER."

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.