Chapter 38 - No Matter What

By the time Aparna reached home it was already 8:30 at night and she could see Madhu sitting in the balcony waiting for her. She got down from the car and hugged her friend, who seemed upset about something but still seemed overjoyed to see her.

Nishant took out her things from the boot and placed the bags on the porch. As Madhu went inside, he pulled Aparna to himself and placed his forehead against hers.

"I'll miss you."

She encircled her arms around him and pulled his face down to her. Placing a kiss on his nose, she said, "I'll also miss you."

Closing his eyes, he tried to feel her warmth all around him and suddenly felt a little scared. Although he was ready to fight everything off that came between them but still he was scared of the after-effects on her. Instinctively, he engulfed her in his arms and buried his face in her neck.

"I love you. Don't you ever believe anything else other than that, no matter what."

"Please, Nishant. I cannot believe anything else other than that."

Slowly he let her go but kept on looking at her till he could.

As the car sped away, Aparna suddenly felt empty inside. All these days, she had got used to Nishant being there with her always. Now, she will need to wait for the morning to feel his touch again. Sighing, she closed the door and turned around, and saw Madhu standing in the doorway of her bedroom, looking angry as hell.

"What's wrong?"

"What's going on between you and Nishant Sir?"

Aparna smiled and sighed with relief. So, her best friend was angry because she hadn't told her the biggest news of her life.

"I'll tell you everything. But before that can I just have a cup of tea at least?"

**************

Nishant was stuck in a traffic jam at Chirag Delhi but for once that did not bother him at all. All he could think about was Aparna. His fingers smelled of her. Every time he rested his palm on the left side seat, he felt her sitting there.

He closed his eyes and saw her. The moment he opened them, her whispering voice and heated breath made him mad.

Nishant shifted in his seat and tried his best to divert his thoughts but his heart and mind did not listen. The more his thoughts circled around her, the more impatient he got. Unable to bear it, he took out the phone and dialled her number, but it kept on ringing.

Where is she?

Why isn't she answering the phone?

What is wrong?

Okay, Calm down, Nishant Naik, his mind told him. She has just reached home. She must be freshening up and sharing everything with Madhu.

Sighing hard, he tried to calm his hyperactive state. Surviving the night without her would be an ordeal, he knew that well. He has to wait till morning to see her again, feel her again.

God! Why is everything so hard?

Closing his eyes, he thought about how his life had changed in the last fortnight. He smiled as Prakriti's cute little face flashed in his memory.

My sweet little Princess!

Oh, my god! That should be her nickname.

Smiling he kept on thinking about these things till he reached his home.

***************

Aparna sat down on the windowed parapet and looked outside at the sky. She and Madhu had chatted all along their dinner and sometime after that. In the last fortnight every single thing in her life had changed. Whether it was she or her daughter, Nishant had charmed them both. His face flashed in front of her and she smiled shyly as she remembered their time together.

Suddenly every little vein in her body came alive with his touch and smell. She hugged herself and felt like taking him in his arms.

God, Nishant!

When will I be in your arms again?

She closed her eyes and remembered their time in Tosh. As memories of that ill-fated night came back, she shivered thinking what would have happened if he had been alone.

Suddenly the urge to hear his voice was so potent that Aparna picked up the phone and dialled his number. But, unfortunately, he didn't answer. Frowning, she was about to call him again, when his number flashed on the screen. For a minute, she kept on looking at his face on the caller ID. Every little detail of his love for her, everything he had said and made her feel came back. She answered the call but was too constricted to say anything.

"Hey sweetheart. Missing me?" she heard Nishant say.

But Aparna wasn't able to say anything. She just listened to his dreamy voice and felt his love wash over her.

"Aparna, are you okay?" she heard Nishant ask.

The concern in his voice was evident making her feel all the more overwhelmed.

"Something is wrong. Don't worry, I am coming," she heard Nishant say and this time also heard him scrambling for something.

"Nishant, I am fine. You don't need to come here. Relax!" she said finally clearing her voice.

"Then, why weren't you saying anything?"

"Nothing!"

"No, tell me. And, tell me now."

"I told you. It's nothing."

"Aparna, if you don't tell me, I swear I will come there."

"I see you everywhere. Every time I hug myself I feel your arms. Your voice keeps on ringing in my ears. Every time you take my name, it feels special. Your name is there always on my lips even when I am not talking. I want you so much that it is making me weak," she said in one breath, for once giving in to the urge to tell him what she was feeling inside.

Nishant heard every word but couldn't reply. After a long time in his life, he had become speechless. He had never expected her to become so vocal about her feelings. Every word she said washed and painted his soul with her love.

"Nishant?"

"I am here," he whispered in a choked voice.

"I miss you."

"I am there with you. I am there inside you. Close your eyes and you will find me."

Aparna closed her eyes and felt his arms go around her.

"Yes, I can feel you."

"I can feel you too. I will always be there in you. Nobody can ever take me away. No one," Nishant promised her.

"No matter what?"

"Yes sweetheart. No matter what."

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.