part two

the house had boards in the windows and looked like there were about a million leaks in the roof

the house had boards in the windows and looked like there were about a million leaks in the roof. but this was home for now.

i set my suitcase down and took a picture of the boards, the lights, and the trees encompassing us.

hawkins, indiana. it looked like nothing ever happened there. i prayed it would stay that way after our arrival.

my room was small, but i was okay with it. with the amount of studying i probably had to do in order to catch up and graduate, the school would end up being my new home.

i dreaded school. the hierarchy, the crowds, and the noise made me hyperventilate. and people always noticed.

every school was the same. i was always the quiet new girl who wondered the halls like a lost soul- i gave up trying to make friends since we would probably have to move again.

the door to my room slammed open, making me jump and shut my eyes tight.

"look at me."

i peeked at her through my eyelashes.

"you start school tomorrow. remember the rules." with that, she left.

the room was quiet with only the sounds of crickets filling it.

i sat on the floor and curled my legs in, one single tear falling.

i wish she had never met the man who ruined our lives.