part twenty

the blue and red lights flickered through the windows as i sat in my room

billy was talking to the cops outside as i stared numbly at my hands in my lap.

mama was dead. the killer was still out there, and i had a great idea about who it was.

billy didn't know about jones, so he wouldn't tell the cops anything useful. i fell backwards on my back and stared at the blank ceiling.

i knew some people didn't have great lives but jesus christ. with mama gone, jones out there, the demo-thing, and a small girl with super powers, i was sure i was losing my mind.

"betty," someone said, getting in the bed. i didn't move— i didn't feel.

billy sat up against the headboard and brought my head in his lap. running his fingers through my hair, everything was silent.

closing my eyes, i let a few tears fall. the pad of his thumb ran across my flushed cheeks, making me lean into his touch.

"i'm sorry," he said, lowly.

"billy hargrove, you've said sorry to me way too many times," i repeated what i had said when we were in the bus. before we had our first kiss.

he chucked softly, his fingers returning to my hair.

"come stay with max and i tonight, okay?" he asked, tilting my head so i could look into his eyes.

"no, it's okay," but i was cut off by billy.

"that wasn't actually a question. you're staying with max and i. you'll be sleeping in my room," he stated, making me roll my eyes.

"if you do me a favor," i said, closing my eyes again.

his fingers still danced through my hair making me sigh in content.

"yes?" he asked.

"never say sorry to me again," i said, opening my eyes again to catch his blue ones.

"deal."

——————

less drama to calm down from the hella drama from the last few chapters.

also, holy shit. 20k. thank you. :)

let me know what you think?