part six

nearly running out of the school after the final bell, i tried to execute my escape plan

nearly running out of the school after the final bell, i tried to execute my escape plan. i lived about a fifteen minute walk to the right of school, therefore i would exit the right door.

it made perfect sense to me.

until a young girl on a skateboard whacked into me, sending me spiraling to the ground.

"i'm so sorry," i said, standing up and looking around to make sure no one else had noticed the ordeal. however, everyone who i made eye contact with was either smirking or outright laughing.

"it's fine," the girl said picking up her skateboard. from what i had seen, she was pretty good.

"you're not bad with the board. i wish i knew how to skate," i said, holding the straps of my book bag tightly.

why was social interaction so difficult?

she quirked an eyebrow and stared at me for a second, making me shuffle my feet and look around the hallway awkwardly. at least people had already moved on.

"i can teach you... if you want." i looked at her shocked. this was the first nice person, besides nancy, who i had met in this town.

"are you sure? i don't want to be a bother," i said, my mother's words playing in the back of my head.

"you're a nuisance- to me, to everyone."

"no. i don't mind. come by tomorrow after school? you have to be there by 6 and leave by 7, okay?"

the odd times had me confused but i still shook my head yes.

"thank you so much...?"

"max. max mayfield."

the name sounded familiar but i played it off as weird déjà vu.

"i'm betty. and i'll be there. would you mind giving me your address?"

she took a pen from her bag and grabbed my arm. the touch wasn't aggressive but i still found myself flinching at the contact. max didn't seem to notice.

with a pop of her lips, she put the cap back on the pen, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"there you go, betty. see you tomorrow. remember, 6-7." with that, we parted ways.

leave it to me to only make friends with people five years younger than me.

the name max bounced around my head as i made the grueling walk back to my new home.

—————————

gif doesn't really match text but it's relatable as hell.

updates: every monday

or

when there is 10+ likes on an update.