twelve

We pull up in the driveway and I'm the first one to get out the car. I've calmed down a bit more but I'm still not over the whole thing.

"Zayn please wait" Liam says as he gets out the car.

"What Liam?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I took you there, I just thought maybe you just wanted to forgive her and then that could be like a present I guess in a way?" Liam's words are scattered but I can understand what he's trying to say.

"I know Liam, I know" I walk closer to him, "I know you have good intentions and that's what I like about you. All that good inside, and you sharing it with me"

Liam smiles and I return the sentiment with a hug. Liam's warmth makes me feel at ease, like a cozy sweater you wear to sleep.

"Let's go inside, it looks like it's about to rain" Liam says, and I follow him to the door. I take out the keys and open the door.

"Dad?! We're home!" I shout and my father comes down the stairs.

"Oh finally I was starting to worry" My dad says.

"I told you we might be a little late than usual" I say heading to the kitchen. I open the fridge and take out a soda, "So anything planned for tonight?"

"I thought we could just stay in"

"Dad, it's my birthday come on now"

"What if I tell you, you're a bit too old for birthday parties"

"I'm only 17, can I just please live while I'm young"

"Hmm" My dad says as he stood up from the couch, walking over to the backyard door, "Just for that, we are going to finish painting that car"

I walk over to him, "It's literally eight at night"

"Beauty never sleeps"

"It's literally just a car"

"Hey now, cars have feelings too ya know"

"Yea whatever you say"

We head out the backyard and the moment the door closes, lights turn out and a crowd of people jump screaming "Happy Birthday." I felt my heart jump and I couldn't believe it. All these people came to say happy birthday to me, to celebrate my birth. Part of me wants to just cry happiness and another part of me just wants to go and sit down because that almost gave me a heart attack.

"Happy Birthday baby boy" Liam says as he walks closer to me, with open arms.

"You dick, did you know about this?" I say while hugging him.

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. The world
may never know" Liam says and he kisses me on the forehead. I pull away and I see Liam light up with a smile across his face and it still amazes me how adorable he looks while he smiles, like who can possibly do that without even trying?

"Oh and don't call me baby boy"

"But you are my baby boy"

"Just because you're older than me doesn't mean you get to call me that"

"Oh but it does" Liam gets closer to me and I look up at him, "Baby boy"