Chapter 11: Shh... Don't Talk

~Kaitlynn’s Point of View~

I didn’t talk to anyone during the plane ride back. It was a private aeroplane since Niall couldn’t be seen in public without creating a scene. Paul joined us on the ride back to Dublin Airport and drove both of us back to Dad’s house in Mullingar, but left to join his own family for Christmas. Dad was waiting at the door for us and I thought he would hug me, but he didn’t. He went to greet Niall with a strong hug and only smiled warmly at me. I returned a smile, but it was fake. I couldn’t feel it in my eyes at all.

“How’s the tour goin’?” Dad asked Niall at the dinner table that was just a little bit too quiet. Niall raised his head up a little bit from his plate, swallowed, and turned to face Dad.

“Grand, really. The fans are amazin’ and I love every minute of it. Even though… they are kinda loud.” Dad and Niall laughed a bit, but I just couldn’t stop thinking about the screaming girls just outside our house. They’ve been there for God knows how long and will stay there for God knows how long. It’s so stupid. I wonder if the girls would still like Niall if they knew just how much of a dick he is. I thought to myself.

“You’re bein’ quiet.” Dad said to me simply. I shrugged my shoulders and kept pushing around the mash in my plate. I haven’t even touched my food at all. “I have your term report card.” He said and handed me an opened envelope with the school symbol on it. I took the letter out calmly, because I know my marks are good. Actually, I haven’t gotten any mark below an A*, which is at least 90% of the available score. (A/N: if you wanna know the marks and marking system in the UK, which is so fucking different than anywhere else in the world… here’s the link. Don’t worry, when I moved to Manchester it took me like a whole term to understand what the hell was happening!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_the_United_Kingdom#England.2C_Wales_and_Northern_Ireland )

“Is everything okay?” Niall asked me worriedly. I couldn’t respond even if I wanted to, which I didn’t. I kept staring at the report card with my mouth wide open, but it was wasn’t for the marks. No, it was the comments of the professors.

“We strongly encourage your daughter to enter the following schooling year, omitting year twelve. Please consider this as we believe it would be for Kaitlynn’s sole benefit. Her immense talent at the arts, combined with her great motivation for the ground studies would only be for her future aid.” I couldn’t move and even when Niall snatched the paper from my hands I remained in my frozen state.

“Wow.” Niall said. It was all he said. He, too, was shocked like me.

“Katy?” Dad demanded my attention. I looked at him expectantly. “Do you want to skip next year? It would mean you graduate when you’re 17. It means you’re graduating next year.” I thought for a minute about it. Tom was Niall’s age and was graduating this year. I didn’t want to think of the time I won’t be with him, but if I graduate early, then I can go to the same university as him and be with him in a year rather than 2. It could be grand. I wouldn’t have to get new roommates in two years. I could leave this home next year. I wouldn’t have to study more maths or science. It could all be done and over with in one year and 5 months. I could be with Tom at the end of next year. I looked at Dad and totally apathetically, I nodded.

“So you’re like a genius. Cool.” Niall said with a small smile. I didn’t respond to him at all. I didn’t even smile. I just stared right through him and pushed my plate away from me.

“Are you not hungry?” Dad asked when his eyes met my untouched food. I shook my head slightly and walked away from the kitchen, but when I started walking up the stairs to my familiar bedroom, I heard Niall and Dad talk and it got the best of my curiosity. “Do you have any idea why your sister isn’t talking?” Dad asked simply.