Part 45 - The Winner

After a long night of crying it was the next day. Already. I went to my first class with my head in the clouds. Every second felt like a lifetime. I was wasting time on thinking about exams and Ethan. I was caught up in the both of them. And looking at colleges.

When the lesson ended I went to my locker and then went to English. When I got in class I saw Ethan by the window. It felt like I hadn't seen him in a while. He looked at me and quickly looked away. Mr Smith came into class and congratulated us all for exams. And for showing up to them. Ethan had his head down while he was talking about exams. Mr Smith, spent nearly the whole lesson talking about it and showing us how we could have done things differently. We were getting our results back tomorrow. Which really worried me.

"Now." He said smiling at the whole class. "Creative writing winner this week."

"Stupid." Ethan muttered staring out the window.

"What was that?"

Ethan sat up. "I said that it's stupid."

Mr Smith laughed. "It's funny you say that Ethan, because your writing was the winner of this week."

"Bullshit, I'm not reading it out."

"You should be proud of the work you produce." Mr Smith speaks. "There's a reason why you won."

"I'll pass." He laughs coldly.

"Come on Ethan."

"There's nothing creative about my writing." He said causing the class to laugh.

Mr Smith didn't say anything else and just held out a piece of paper to Ethan. Ethan stood up angrily, ripping the paper out of his hands. He opens the piece of paper slowly.

"To the boy that will love her next." He said rolling his eyes.

"Without the attitude please." Mr Smith said.

Ethan rolled his eyes again and cleared his throat. "To the boy who will love her next. She doesn't like to fall asleep without a record on." He started. "You need to play either The 1975 or Kodaline. Whatever one she is feeling, or judging on the day she has had. Dance with her on the warm carpet where the sun hits, keep it slow and at the pace that she likes. Hold her close, but not too close so that she can see your eyes to make it feel more real." He kept his eyes down on his paper and I stared at him intently.

"Make sure that you keep her warm when it is cold, she likes to cuddle with a jersey of yours while watching one of her favorite movies. Always listen to every single detail of what she is saying and when you are listening, take in every inch of her face. Like the freckles on her nose and the freckle right beneath her right eye. The thing you cannot forget, the biggest rule of all of loving her... Tell her every day and every morning that she is beautiful. That she means something in the world. Remind her that she is not a nobody. Tell her that she is more. Love her right, love her properly, love her until she gets sick of it. If you don't follow everything I had just said, she won't be happy. And I can't stand the thought of it. Treat her with respect, treat her with all the love in the world, treat her better than I ever did." 

He finished by crumbling the paper in his hand.

"Ethan, it is beautiful."

"No it isn't." He spat throwing his paper in the rubbish bin and ripping the door open and slamming it.

The whole class sat in there seats, we were all taken back at Ethan's emotional outbreak. I got up from my seat, quickly grabbing the crumpled paper from the bin and running after him.