Chapter Fifteen

Saved

Smaug flew high above Esgaroth when he saw it. A small speck of green coming out of a house and some riders galloping away. The orc guides his master had sent were waiting outside the village and were completely oblivious to the enemy, he had to do something.

He flapped his strong wings once and dipped his head. He drew his wings in and rocketed down to the ground. Smaug opened his wings at the last minute and landed quietly. He blew on the ground and ripples traveled through it, they sped off in the direction of the green mist.

Aragorn knew they wouldn’t escape this enemy but he still led the company on.

“Aragorn we will not reach land we have to turn around and fight them here!” Legolas cried.

He was wrong. This was not a normal foe it was part of an army of the Dead.

“No! We will carry on going!” Aragorn disagreed. Aragorn could see the dark shapes of the orcs up ahead and knew they weren’t very far.

Something unexpected happened then; a ripple appeared in the ground and came speeding up to them.

“Aragorn!” Gimli called put but it was too late, the ripple had already reached them and went straight through them.

They all stopped abruptly and turned around. The green mist was gone as well as the ripple, where had it come from? Where did it go? Gandalf cried out and they all snapped back into reality.

“What is wrong with him?” Sam asked worriedly.

Aragorn looked pitiful and carried on down the bridge leading Shadowfax. They all followed him and quickly gained distance. They reached the orcs and the leader stepped forward,

“I thought you were staying in the water town overnight?” he asked gruffly.

They completely ignored him and carried on riding, they were so close to the Lonely Mountain. They would reach it before nightfall and hopefully whatever godforsaken thing was waiting would help Gandalf. Legolas and Tauriel were starting to worry about Aragorn. He seemed… anxious lately.

Smaug flew far above the company and could see them clearly enough to know that one was injured. It was the magic one. The one they call Gandalf. The mistress would be pleased he helped save them; she didn’t like unexpected surprises like that one.

She might even let him eat a few orcs. Except that would have to wait because he had to watch over them. He was supposed to just wait outside the mountain but that was boring him and he wanted to do something.

And he was glad he did because if he didn’t then the company would be dead. They need to hurry though he mistress is getting impatient and you do not want to be around her when she gets angry. Usually, the person in her way or just someone nearby gets hurt.