Chapter Two

Claim

The Elven Kingdom of Mirkwood was a beautiful place with a kind of gentle deadliness lying upon it. Not many who ventured here ever returned, if they were not Elves themselves.

This woman was lucky. For she was a guest here and was welcomed with open arms and caring hearts, but this was not going to last. Because she intended to steal a rare necklace from within these walls, and take it safely away from the King Thranduil, for he misused it, he kept it locked away where no one would go looking.

But what she did not know was that her recent encounter with the dwarves was not her last. Because they were here in this very palace, kept under lock and key. She had no idea how in all of Middle Earth she was going to claim the necklace and leave without causing a war.

Except how could there be a war? When all her people have long since been dead. She did not like Elves, she loathed them. She would never forgive the Elves for what they did. She approached the gates and the guards swung them open for her and she walked gracefully in, trying to not gouge their eyes out. Their golden armour shining in the sunlight. 

She sped down the halls like a flower petal speeding down a river, and reached her appointed chambers. She was supposed to attend an important gathering tonight but she did not want to, even though there was a pretty dress involved. She did not like dresses either, they made her feel... vulnerable. But it was expected of her, Thranduil would be suspicious if she did not show her face. So, she changed into the dress rather reluctantly, every fibre of her body telling her not to go, and left the chamber. 

When she got there something unexpected was waiting. The dwarf she had met in the forest earlier on in the day was there, the one with raggedy black hair and a stern face. The Kings son held out his arm and she took it, never taking her eyes off the dwarf. Her smile faltered, but only for a second, then she walked towards the King with his son ignoring the dwarf completely. Nothing was going to get in the way of her mission. Nothing.

"We must go now!" the Prince warned looking at her. She nodded and turned the corner.

Apparently King Thranduil's son was going to help her complete what she had set out to do. She had no idea why he was helping her, and she definitely did not trust him, she wouldn't make that mistake. Except the dwarves were ahead of them. She had managed to obtain the necklace, but the dwarves had escaped which meant that guards were swarming everywhere and the likelihood of them being caught was so much higher. Damned dwarves, they were so selfish. She stumbled into the stables with the Prince and they jumped on the closest horses, then rode out of the room. "Annon Edhellen edro hi ammen!" (Open the gates!) he shouted at the gate keepers.

The two guards hesitated before opening the doors for them to ride side by side through. The first part of her quest was over. The second part was not going to be so easy.