Chapter Twenty One

It Begins

I woke to heavy footsteps and opened my eyes. I was lying in the throne and Smaug had disappeared. I bolted upright and saw the orcs escorting the others up the stairs. Gandalf came up first and addressed me, I stood up and stood straight.

“We thought it best if you and the dragon stay here. We do not exactly need your help, we have dealt with this evil before and can do it once more. So we shall be leaving today.” The wizard informed looking me straight in the eye.

“Fine. Go then. But know this wizard, you do need my help, you cannot face him and his army alone. And if you do all the things you love will perish in the war that’s coming.” And with that a turned around and left them.

You are not just going to let them leave?!” Smaug wined. I rubbed my head,

“Well what can I do? They do not need my help apparently.”

That does not mean you should not follow them and protect them.

“Smaug they do not need nor want my help.”

Have you lost sight of what you said to me 60 years ago?

“Smaug I do not need you to remind me what my purpose is.”

I think you do need reminding.

“Smaug.”

You told me that our joined purpose was to protect Middle Earth and watch over it until our last dying breath. You told me you were not going to let anyone else die who did not need to.

“Thorin did not need to die and yet he still did.” I murmured.

Smaug looked at me sympathetically.

That was not your fault.” He reminded me.

“Wasn’t it? I said I would help I did not say I would let him be killed for me.”

“He knew that your life was more important.” I jumped out of my throne as someone said that from behind me.

It wasn’t an orc and it wasn’t Smaug. I turned around to face them. Tilda. I rushed over to her and hugged her. She was slightly surprised but hugged me back. I let her go but didn’t let her arms go.

“How have you been Duvaineth?” she asked.

“That does not matter! Tilda! What are you doing here?” I asked her, she smiled and then turned around and walked a few steps.

“I came because of Bain.” She sighed sadly. I stopped smiling and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Bards son, your brother?”

“Yes”

“What happened Tilda?”

“He’s…” she stopped talking then and started crying. I took her into my arms and patted her back gently.

“He’s dead.” I finished.

She nodded into my chest and I comforted her. The ground then suddenly started to shake slightly. Tilda sprung out of my arms and wiped her eyes,

“What is that?” she asked,

“I do not know.” I replied frowning, Smaug spoke up then.

Duvaineth, the company.” I rushed to Tilda,

“Tilda you need to go now. Go back to Esgaroth.” I warned.

She nodded and ran away. I turned to the gates of Erebor, Smaug swooped low and I shouted for the gates to be opened. I jumped on Smaug.

“It has begun.”

Okay so Tilda knows about Duvaineth I kinda didn't say that at the beginning but you know it doesn't matter. What do you think is making the earth move? Tell me in the comments and keep reading! Oh and another thing this is this is nearly at the end of the book but don't worry! Theres going to be another book!!

With love Lady_Greenleaf_ xxxxx