11

The wounds are deep. That is wat Aragorn said. So likely I have shall have scars on my back for the rest of my life.

After Aragorn was called away by the king, I slept. I woke up because Éowyn called me and said there was something to discuss. So here I am now, Éowyn is making me ready. My nightdress lies in a corner of the room and Éowyn holds out a dark red tunic. I nod and she throws the tunic over my head. She gives me a black cotton pants and black leather boots. I put them on. She smiles. 'You look beautiful Verya!'

'Thank you' I say and look into the mirror. I see a girl with long dark brown hair, that reaches to her hips and grey eyes with no glimpse of hope in it. 'Shall I braid your hair?'

'Yes, please' I smile at her and she smiles back. She told me that she find it nice to have a women around here after all the men she sees every day.

After she braided my hair, we walk to the throne room. I see two young children sitting at a table. Théoden king sits on his throne, his head buried in his hand and Gandalf at his side. Éowyn walks over to the children and begins to speak. 'They had no warning! They were unarmed. Now the Wild men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go' It looks like there happened something I was not told off. I sit on a chair next to Gimli. The Dwarf smiles at me, happy to me. 'Good have you back Lassie' He says quietly. 'I am happy to be back Gimli' I see Aragorn looking at me, who is smoking his pipe. 'Where is mama?' The young girl ask Éowyn. Éowyn comforts her and Gandalf turns to Théoden. 'This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on' Gandalf puts a hand on Théodens chair and Théoden looks warily at him. 'Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight'

'You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king' Aragorn speaks up. But Théoden gets out of his chair and walks to the center of his hall. 'They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us.' Gandalf opens his mouth to speak but Théoden halts him. 'I know what it is that you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war' Aragorn removes his pipe and leans forward to speak. 'Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not' Théoden turns to Aragorn and Éowyn is looking curiously at the two men. 'When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan' Théoden sneers at Aragorn.

'Then what is the king's decision?' Gandalf says, a bit too loud.

'We shall go to Helm's deep' And that is the kings decision.

Coward.

Gandalf storms out of the room with us running after him. Háma, the right hand of the king stands in the midst of the city, delivering the kings decision. 'By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need'

'Helm's Deep. They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight' Gimli growls. We continue to walk to the rohirrim stable. 'Who will defend them if not their king?' says Gimli.

He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past' I say. We approach the stable of a white horse. 'This is Shadowfax, Gandalf's horse' Legolas whispers to me. 'There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre' Gandalf tells us.

'Théoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold' Gandalf tells Aragorn seriously. Aragorn looks resolute at Gandalf. 'They will hold' Then Gandalf turns to his horse and stokes his mane. 'The Grey Pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of Men I've walked this earth, and now I have no time' He mused. Aragorn opens the doors of the stables and Gandalf mounts Shadow fax. 'With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east' He says and climbs on the horse. Aragorn nods. 'Go' Legolas, Gimli and I jump out of the way as Gandalf blast out of the stable at top speed. He Is going to get help.