Chapter Twenty-Two

Seraphina awoke the following morning, not by the sounds of birds or the sun pouring in through the window. Not by the deep, heavy breathing the giant emitted as he slept. And certainly not by the sweet smell of syrup wafting throughout the entire mansion. She was instead woken by her own dreams. More of a nightmare, really. A nightmare that was truly a memory of her father and brother.

When she opened her eyes, she found herself in complete darkness. The kind of darkness where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, even if it were one inch in front of you. She was pressed between two heavy objects, and something was rumbling in her ears. 

As she woke up a little more, she realized the rumbling was a loud, thundering heartbeat beating right in her ears. So she's either in a pocket or pressed against Eric's chest. Could he even be laying on top of her? No, no, surely she couldn't breathe if he were. Gently she took her hands, pressing them into the warm surface in front of her and tried to wake the sleeping giant.

Eric had only been lightly sleeping, so when he felt the tiny hands press against him his eyes easily opened. "Sparrow?" He murmured in a groggy, but gentle tone. Pulling his large hand away, he could see the small human staring up at him with tired eyes. Clearly, she didn't sleep well last night. "How are you feeling?"

Terrible. Pained. Her throat was still on fire, her limbs felt heavy, and her eyelids felt like they were being weighed down, pulled by bricks. She opened her mouth to speak, unable to get a word past the coughing that began as soon as she attempted to speak. 

"Ah, that answers things. I smell breakfast. Shall I have the Maddie bring our breakfast here?" Eric sat up, his large form leaning over the black-haired female. 

A frown formed on Seraphina's pale lips. She didn't want anyone bringing a large, heavy tray all the way up from the kitchen. Quickly shaking her head, she stared with wide blue eyes at the large man towering over her. When nothing else is going on, it makes it impossible to ignore how much bigger he is. How frightening he is, despite his gentle voice and touch.

"Hm. Well then I'll at least go down and get yours, and perhaps fetch a glass of water as well." Eric rose from the bed, taking his hands and situating Sera on the bed so she was leaning against the pillow. The giant nobleman then pulled his heavy covers up over her legs, a smile on his face as he did so. "There. Comfy?" Eric murmured to the human, using a finger to push her hair back.

Sera could only remain still as she found herself easily moved around on the into a more comfortable position. It was strange how kind he could be to her, but be so cruel to the servants. If she could talk she would tell him that he couldn't just be that way. If it were Karen, Thompson, Ethan, or Matthew, yes, she'd be perfectly okay with the cruel treatment, as long as nothing would fatally injure them. She is still not a killer. She wouldn't wish death unto anyone. 

Once he ensured she was tucked in neatly, Eric changed his clothes into a suit and tie, slicking his hair back. Of course, he changed in the bathroom, it would be unfitting to change in front of a lady. However, he wouldn't mind at all. He was just unsure how the sick human would react.

Once dressed and prepared for the day, he left the bathroom then the bedroom, making his way down the halls and taking quick glances out each window he passed, hoping to maybe get a glimpse of one of the four traitors. But alas, there was none. Not even once he made it all the way to the kitchen where he looked for Maddie. 

Eric found the white-haired maid near the sink, scrubbing away at a steel pan much larger than one a human would use. "Maddie." He spoke firmly, startling the human maid and she almost fell into the sink of warm water.

Maddie had finally found herself able to get some work done. After all this time, she was finally able to do more of her job again. But the loud, deep voice startled her from her own thoughts and she turned her frightened silver eyes toward the giant. "Y-Yes s-sir?" She stuttered softly, lowering her head nervously. The maid still didn't know how he would react to what he saw her do. When she kissed Seraphina's unconscious body. 

"Please bring Sera up a glass of water. I will take her breakfast to her myself. Just get it onto a tray fit for her and I'll take care of it." Eric watched the maid's shaking hands as she placed her rag down. As she descended the ladder built into the side of the washtub. He followed her with his eyes all around the kitchen.

Maddie felt a tad more stressed under his gaze, her eyes darting up to the giant every now and again. When she finally got a glass of water, her hands were shaking so badly that she almost spilled every drop onto the floor. 

"Would you prefer to take it to her, Maddie?" Eric rumbled above her with an arched brow, crouching down to see if he could get an answer from the trembling maid. 

A nervous laugh escaped the maid's lips and she nodded her head, stepping back away from the giant. But she didn't step back quick enough when the large hand came over her, knocking the ground out beneath her feet and lifting her high off the ground.

Maddie let out a squeal of terror, her whole body trembling as she wondered what he was doing. She gripped the glass tight, attempting to keep it from spilling any more.

Ignoring the fear he was causing, or just no noticing it, Eric carried the maid from the kitchen all the way up to his bedroom where Seraphina lay.

The black-haired girl turned her head ever so slightly to see Eric returning with Maddie in his palm. Sera could immediately see the look of pure fear on the maid's face and gestured for him to put her down on the bed, now wanting her friend to have a heart attack. 

Once on the bed, Maddie nearly collapsed and hurriedly gave Seraphina the glass of water. "H-Here you go." She stuttered softly, plainly near tears.

"E-Eric, can y-you go for a-a bit?" Sera choked out and almost went into another coughing fit. She wants to try and talk to the maid a little bit.

The giant man simply nodded his head and turned to leave his bedroom. Why did he have to go? It was his own bedroom after all. But maybe she wanted to get dressed and Maddie was going to help her. Or she just wanted to talk to her in private. Probably about the earlier discussion he and she shared previously.

Back in the bedroom, Sera's hand rested gently on the maid's arm, her deep blue pools meeting the teary silver ones. She then opened her mouth, and managed to speak in a hoarse, pained voice. "Maddie...w-we really need to talk."