Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sera sat silently next to her white-haired friend, humming very softly. She'd been sitting like this for who knows how long and was waiting for Maddie to wake up.  "This is all my fault. I'm sorry." She whispered as gently as she could to avoid hurting her voice.

Eric had been standing in the doorway for only a couple minutes but he knew Seraphina had been sitting there for the past few hours, barely moving a muscle. To be fair it was a little creepy. "Seraphina? Sparrow, is everything alright?" He asked as gently as he could, approaching the bed.

"Eric...I-I'm frightened. What if she dies? I-I've been trying to have hope, as much hope as I've ever had. But I'm still scared." The black-haired female whispered without looking at the giant. She placed a pale hand on Maddie's arm, again looking for any movement from her.

"I know you are." He murmured in a soft tone, reaching out and gently used a large finger to tilt her head in his direction. "Why don't I ask the servants to run you a warm bath, and you can relax. I'll sit with Maddie."

"R-Really?" Sera looked up at the giant man, using one of her hands to wipe her eyes. A hot bath sounded great, but she didn't want to leave her friend alone for too long.

"Yes, really. I'll be right back." Backing away from the humans, he exited the bedroom and made his way to the servants quarters, leaving Seraphina with the unconscious Maddie. 

Continuing to sit right in that spot, Seraphina began to once again sing in a very soft voice. Though she was mostly trying to keep herself calm.

"Si deus, me relinquit. Ego deum relinquo. Solus oppressus, nigram clavem. Habere potest. Omnias ianuas praecludo sic, omnias precationes obsigno, sed, qui me defendet? Ab me, terribilisimo: ipse." 

Latin. The 'dead' language but the most beautiful. If only she had learned more than that from her mother. But she never even knew her mother, and only knew the journals she'd left behind. She remembers sneaking into her father's room while he had gone to a bar, and would sit for hours and read them. Taking in every word, every curve on every page. 

A cough made her jump and look toward the bedroom door, expecting to see Eric, but there wasn't anyone there. When the coughing continued, her blue-eyed gaze turned toward Maddie. Maddie's eyes were open a slit, and she was coughing up a small amount of blood. 

"Maddie! H-hang on, there's water here for you!" Sera's heart began to pound, wanting to get her friend the help she needed right away.

She was as quick as she could be, snatching the glass of water from the tray beside her. Placing the edge of the glass to Maddie's lips, she watched as the white-haired maid took little gulps of the cold liquid. 

Maddie's insides were red hot, and her torso was still throbbing in pain. Why...why was she still alive? She'd have preferred to die then, she wanted to die then. She didn't want to watch Seraphina be with anyone else. Silent tears began to trickle down her cheeks as she began to wonder if the world just hated her. 

Sera could see how hurt Maddie was, and she knew it wasn't just from her wound. "I made you a promise. I'm going to find you, someone, to spend the rest of your life with. A-And once you heal up, I'll-" She burst into her own coughing fit, turning away so she couldn't hack on her wounded friend. 

The two clung to each other's hands, both hurt, both in immense pain. But together. 

When Eric reentered the room, he hadn't expected to see Maddie awake, let alone trying to talk to Seraphina. "Do not speak. You will hurt yourself and make my sparrow worry more. She's been sitting here for hours with you, hoping you were alright. She'd even sing for you, a pleasure that shouldn't be taken lightly."

The maid's pale lips began to quiver, and she did her best to remain calm. But she'd just woken up and wanted to at least get used to the light again before being tormented by the giant. 

Sera, not really wanting to get shouted at about how he didn't get any compassion, stayed silent but kept a defensive look for Maddie aimed at Eric. The sudden burning feeling in her throat made her realize just how much she'd been forcing herself to speak and move. She felt so tired. 

"I don't think I'm going to be able to take a bath right now," Sera spoke softly and leaned back on the giant pillow near Maddie, watching Eric closely. "I'm sorry we're taking over your bed for now. I'm sorry." She felt bad about it and felt bad that Eric had already asked another servant to run water for a bath.

"It's fine. When you wake up, I think we should go see your father and brother." Able to see just how tired the maid and Sera were still, Eric scowled internally as he did want to lay down with Sera. But not with the servant. The servant shouldn't even be in his bed, but Sera was desperate and near hysterical. 

"Okay," Seraphina spoke with a yawn, stretching her arms over her head. Nestling into the soft pillow. She hated the thought of going to see her drunk father and abusive brother, but with Eric there, thing should be just fine.