Chapter 33. Wasted bullet

"Philophobia; is a condition in which a person fears the idea of falling in love, and/or becoming too attached."
.
.
We began walking, walking in blank silence. All you could hear were the cars driving by which made it less awkward. I felt more attached to the sounds on the road for some reason. Everything going fast.

Dan looked up ahead, "we should be there in a couple minutes." He spoke.

I took a breath of relief, being thankful that the walk wasn't that far.

"Now look, I just want things to go smoothly, okay? Don't screw this up. Just walk in, pay the guy, and walk out." Dan explained trying to avoid any confrontation.

I didn't respond due to me being detracted, we were here. The bright light of the sign read "motero gas station."

"Here." Dan said handing me $40 dollars. "I'll wait out here." He muttered pulling out his cigarette box again. I rolled my eyes at him as I grabbed the money and walked into the store. Hearing the bell ring from above me as I stepped through the entrance. I looked around for small plastic gas tanks. Then eventually found a red one for a cheap price. "Perfect." I mumbled to myself.

I couldn't help but feel at ease, like someone was watching me. In fact the whole place seemed a bit too quite. Yet I looked past it. I walked up to the cash register and asked if I could place some gas into the container.

The man at the front more so just groaned instead of actually answering. Yet I gave him the money and got my change back.

Right before I walked out the glass door, I was stopped by a guy grabbing my arm. He was wearing glasses and I couldn't quite tell who he was. Yet he put on a clearly faked smile and asked me, "hey, do you mind helping me out with something. I have no money for gas and my car broke down a mile down from here." He spoke sounding genuine and sincere.

"I uh, yeah sure.... I'm headed with one of my friends to get back to our car so surly you can come along as well." I spoke.

The man smiled crookedly, we walked outside and my eyes looked around in search for Dan. Eventually I saw him smoking from across the station. It was pretty hard to see him though due to how dark the night sky was.

I was about to call him over here, but before I could I felt two arms grab me, making me gasp I wanted to yell but the mans hand fell over my lips. Loud muffles were the only sounds that came through.

"Don't think I didn't know who you were, I wonder how much I could make off you if I turned you in. I've seen your face on TV before, escaped an asylum did you?" He laughed taking his hand and reaching into his pocket to pull out a sharp objected. It was a pocket knife that looked freshly sharpened. I tried pulling his hands off me but it was too hard. I kicked, scratched, nothing was working. I also tried reaching for the gun on my ankle but remembered Dan had taken it.

The guy started dragging me, eventually when I had the chance his hand slipped from my mouth. "DAN! HELP!" I yelled as loud as I could, I saw Dans head immediately turn around. He shook his head as he dropped his cigarette and ran over to me. Pulling a gun from his pocket and facing it at him.

"You put the gun down or I'll kill her. I'm sure you wouldn't want that to happen." The older man spoke as he held the knife closely to my neck.

"Go ahead, I'll even do it for you. It's a clean shot." Dan smirked at the guy. I felt my stomach turn, is he really wanting to risk that? No Dan would never do that. H-he wouldn't...