Chapter 9

"Abby." the voice whispers. I stop in my tracks, not looking behind me because I know that it is Paul and I know that I give in every time I see him. I tell myself to stop talking to him, but when he is looking at me with those eyes of his I'm gone.

A hand is placed on my shoulder and Paul appears in front of me, a smug look on his face. "Abby, Jane is gone now..." he says, hinting that we should get together now.

"Yeah, she's gone to her father who isn't well and you are here, trying to cheat on her with me." I remind him.

"Could you stop worrying about everything? All you ever talk about is how wrong this is, but is following your heart's desires really wrong? I will break up with Jane, I told you, but tonight I need you." he replies, convincingly.

"Why are you so desperate for me?" I ask, hoping that it doesn't sound too rude.

Paul pauses, not certain on how to answer. "Well," he starts off, uneasily. Is Paul embarrassed? "I've told you that you're stuck in my head and you're beautiful. Really I just want to make you mine. I haven't felt real love for Jane in months, but when you came along I got that feeling again." he explains.

"Are you saying that you are in love with me?" I ask and he nods, but I don't believe that he can feel like this after a few days. "Paul, that's impossible."

"Obviously it isn't impossible because if it was then I wouldn't be in love with you now, would I?" he replies with a cheeky smile.

"It's been a few days and I barely know you." I continue, convinced that he is just playing games with me.

"That's the thing Abby, I want to know you but you never open up. It's been a few days and I wish you would just give me a chance to show you how much I care." he says, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. My knees are going weak, my heart is beating fast. Why does he make me feel this way?

I know I am going to give in, what's the point in denying that? Here I go again, proving to myself that I can't reject Paul.

"Okay." I say with a deep breath and Paul eyes light up. His hands reach around the back of my neck and suddenly I am kissing him. I hate to admit how good this feels. Standing here with him on a starry night and kissing.

"Do you want to come to my room?" he asks when our lips part.

I give a nod, suddenly realizing that anyone could be watching us right now. His cottage is a few steps down the path and when we reach it, I am surprised by him immediately pulling me in for another kiss.

I don't know how long we stand there kissing. For a minute I think that maybe I am in love with him too, but I let that thought slip out of my mind. I barely know him and that reminds me that we should talk to each other instead of just making out.

"Paul," I say, pulling away, "can we just talk for a bit?"

"Okay." he replies with no hesitation and we sit down on the bench outside his cottage door. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I feel like we barely know each other..." I point out, embarrassed that I have been making out with a man that I don't know.

"Tell me about yourself then, I want to know everything." he says and I sigh, realizing what I've got myself into. I don't trust him just yet. Pattie was easy to talk to but Paul is a man who is lying to his wife right now. How am I supposed to trust him?

"Well I was born in England, then I moved to America. Now I'm here..." I trail off, uncertain.

"Wow, interesting story." Paul remarks sarcastically, "How about what do you do in your free time?" he asks.