Chapter 14

Rey ignited her lightsaber while the suns glow stretched across the desert sand. It made her cold skin warm up and she wanted to sink in its warmth. She swung the lightsaber in the air, and forward like pushing towards an enemy to aim a direct kill. When she whirled around on her feet she almost slipped in the lose sand. Her heart pounded, afraid of hurting herself. She grabbed her staff instead and fought the hot air with as much ferocity she could muster, sweat glistening on her back. When her arms were beginning to strain from too much effort she stuck her staff into the ground. Rey closed her eyes and imagined the world with no evil and only good. Or a balance. REEYY!! A voice erupted in the silence, ripping through her ears. When she opened her eyes, she was no longer on Jakku. She didn't know where she was. For miles she could see thick trees and green plants and darkness. It wasn't very comforting to be in complete isolation in a dark forest. "Ben?!" she whispered into the woods. From far away she could hear the chaos of battle, screams and gun shots. She could also hear clashing of lightsabers. "Rey?" said an unfamiliar voice. Then, behind her, another voice. "I'll come back for you sweetheart I promise!" She whirled on her feet, glazed eyes desperately scanning the dark gaps between the slender trees, trying to penetrate the darkness. "Don't go!" she begged just as he vanished into thin air and she was thrown back onto the dry sand.

"REY?" Ben's voice was far away even when his hands were on her arms. She blinked away the vision, coming out as tears. "What happened?" he asked gently. Rey explained it to him very slowly, allowing him to digest each word she said. He shook his head, looking confused. "I had this vision before Ben" she admitted. "It doesn't make sense-" he went through his hair and her eyes glittered looking at him. Rey fluttered her lashes "I know but we have other things to worry about." Ben angled his face towards hers "What things?" His breath tickled down her neck like delicate feathers. She shivered, despite the immense heat. "You know..." she let the words float around for him to piece together. "Us?" he wondered, his eyes immensely on her. Rey nodded, getting up and brushing off the sand. "I'm very thirsty" she mumbled and went inside. When she spotted Chewie she almost felt bad for forgetting he was here. He was munching on something and she snapped at him. He held up his hands in defense, dropping the package of food. When Ben came in the furred creature let out a brutal noise. "Be nice to him" she warned. He ignored her and left the room. Rey turned to watch as Ben looked as he went. "He hates me" his voice was tormented. "He does not! Chewie has his days" Rey countered, wanting him to forget about it. "Chewie's a wookie" he laughed. Rey nodded, settling on her bed to drink the remaining water. It was warm, but it would do. "We have to go" he said, coming to stand in front of her. She watched as he played with his cape. Rey thought he had looked silly with it on. But now—he looked captivating with his raven hair and brown eyes. No wonder she fell in love with him. She ducked her head, smiling. He huffed a laugh "What is it?" "Your right we should go—what did you come in?" "My ship" "Can I fit?" Rey could of swore a deep blush appeared on his cheeks "Probably not." "Well come on the Falcon can take us anywhere" Rey said with whole hearted amusement. "Garbage" Ben muttered, his eyes shone in amusement. She dragged him out her home and gave one wistful last look at it. It felt good leaving behind the things that didn't matter to her anymore.

Rey watched as the stars smeared together in one big pristine light, making her squint. She felt a subtle tug on her consciousness and he was in her head. "BENNNN!" she whined. Chewie almost smiled at her as she giggled. He growled "You two were like Leia and Han." Rey's heart throbbed in torment. She smiled at him and that's all she could do. She felt a finger on her neck and then a light tug before her hair was lose. Rey turned around to Ben, bashful "Does it look bad?" He shook his head "Not at all." She stood up, wanting privacy. Her voice was hushed "What are we doing and where are we going?" He sat down "Chewie told me he's going back to the Resistance." Rey nodded. She liked the thought of that. Rey missed her friend Finn dearly. But would Ben be okay with that? "It's okay if you miss your friend, that's normal." She supposed so but it nagged her. "I never apologized for this but I am very sorry for what I did. It was very selfish, and I was jealous he had you and I didn't" Ben's voice was raw with agony. Tears rimmed along his eyes, which were rare to see. Rey stroked his cheek, her finger moving along his scar. Rey pushed away the morbid memories. She too had scarred someone. They both hurt somebody. He was forgiven. "I forgive you of course" she whispered softly. He smiled painfully, biting the inside of his lip. The action made her toes curl, her eyes came to look at them. "And I love you" she added when he was looking down at the ground. Ben looked up at her lightening fast, panic glazed in his eyes. "My--mother--she's hurt" he staggered up. "I feel it" he gasped out. Rey, bewildered went over to him as he wobbled on his feet. She lost all of her control and kissed him "Ben we're almost there calm down" she said against his lips. Ben's lips shifted over hers very closely but didn't kiss her back. Rey hid her disappointment very well. Maybe that was a stupid move. Chewie at the front of the ship roared "Here!" Before Rey could run after him Ben bolted out.