Chapter 17

Rey's heart faltered a beat and she was sure she'd have a heart attack too. By her side, Ben staggered to the table, losing his balance. All the color drained from his face and she could feel his pain like shards of ice on her skin. Rey ran over to him and he didn't push her away. He embraced her in an odd hug. His head leaned on her chest while his arms wrapped around her lower waist. He knelt to the ground and Rey carefully went through his hair. 

"You can't see her right now but I'll come back and let you know when she's awake" Rose stammered, clearly awkward. Rose was a jovial girl but in this moment her face was strained in emotions. Rey nodded and she left fastly as she could. 

His body trembled and Rey held onto Ben tighter. "--Rey...." he gasped. "What are we going to do." Rey thought for a moment, her subconscious like a hungry sea wanting to swallow up hidden answers. She couldn't think straight. The Force around them was straining, it snapped in half like a knotted rope. They both felt it, taking in a deep breath. "We should look for Luke now" Rey said contemplatively. Rey felt Ben nod, his hair grazing along her neck. Tears. Small and delicate tears were falling from his dark eyes. Rey subconsciously wiped them away, her eyes glazed in pain. 

Ben's face was etched with agony. Rey noticed that his fists were clenched at his sides. A trait she knew when he was mad or upset. The corridors were dead quiet and Rey wondered if everyone was in mourning for the Princess. Rey took his hand, holding it tight. She squeezed it for reassurance and he squeezed back weakly. 

In front of the hospital wing was a shadowy figure, clad in Jedi clothes. As if sensing them he turned around. Luke. His expression was unreadable, shadowed by his hood. Ben approached Luke carefully as if he was a vicious animal about to strike. Rey stayed where she was, her head tilted slightly to the side, her eyes studiously on Luke. "Ben she is going to be alright. I feel it" Luke said, his voice grave. "But the Force it felt like it snapped in half" Ben stepped closer to his Uncle. "Leia is no longer with the Force. She is not strong enough to obtain it" Rey blinked. That's possible? 

"How is that possible?" Ben asked, mirroring Rey's thoughts. Luke quietly explained, from here Rey could not make out what he was saying. As if just noticing her his head turned to her. Ben met her eye and the air changed from it's thick anguish to something comforting. "Rey" Luke said "You two need to destroy the First Order." Rey's head swirled "But how Master Luke?" "Not Master. Just Luke" he gave her a smile that looked like it hurt from the effort. "We can actually" Rey started "Poe is an excellent pilot and Finn knows the First Order probably as much as Ben." 

Luke nodded, digesting her words. Ben looked at his Uncle like to say: please don't allow this. Don't put her friends in danger. Rey knew that her friends would do anything for her and for Leia. "They'll do anything for Leia" Ben said. He had read her mind. Rey's lips itched to smile and she bit her lip. On his lips was a ghost of a smile. "We can do it" Rey said, "We have hope." Luke smiled and this time he didn't look in pain. Ben's eyes glimmered in a satisfied hope. 

Hope was the rebellions strongest anchor. 

Rey's face was skeptical while she watched Finn and Poe deep in a conversation. "--The First Order isn't as strong as you think" Finn was saying. "Not when you got one hell of a pilot" Poe joked. Ben was working on a encryption algorithms to reach the First Order. 

C-3PO walked in and if he could express emotions his face would be a mask of shock. "Ben Solo?" he said in that robotic voice. He turned around and a smile slowly crept onto his lips. Dark eyes met glowing yellow ones and C-3PO hobbled over "Do you need help?" Ben shook his head "Thanks for asking C-3PO but I got it." Rey smiled. Finn and Poe had grown silent, watching C-3PO and Ben. Rey painfully thought of Han Solo and how much Ben and him were alike.