Starting New

Anna

"Anna! Come down to eat!"

"I'm not hungry!"

"Are you not hungry, or do you just not want to eat my cooking?"

I laughed and set my phone down on my nightstand. "Both!"

A few moments later, Mom came up into my room with an annoyed smirk. "Well, you may be the better chef in this house, but that doesn't give you an excuse to not eat!" She sat down next to me. "Is something wrong? You never eat when you're anxious."

I began to fidget with my hands. "I-I'm fine... It's just...stupid stuff that happened at school," I replied.

Mom put a hand on my shoulder. "What stupid stuff?"

"My social anxiety got pretty bad," I sighed. "Chrom's nice and all, but he's certainly impatient... He introduced me to his friends at lunch and I felt really uncomfortable about it. I barely ate anything, so I came home and kinda gorged myself. That's why I'm not hungry."

"Did those kids make you feel uncomfortable?"

"No! Not at all!" I exclaimed. "I just wasn't expecting to meet so many people at once."

Mom nodded. "Alright. If you say so." She hugged me tightly. "I love you so much."

I hugged her back and smiled. "I love you too, Mama."

We stayed like this for a little while.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you! Your therapist called me and told me that she wants to meet with you tomorrow," she said. "She's going to be out of town on the day you normally meet."

"Ok, that's fine. I wanted to talk to her, anyway."

"Alrighty, then." Mom kissed my forehead. "I'll put your dinner in the fridge if you get hungry. I'll also take out some butter to soften because I know that you're going to bake a cake later."

I smiled bashfully. "Thanks, Mom. And yeah, I was planning on baking."

Mom winked. "Of course. Ever since Lydia told you that baking was a way to cope with anxiety, you haven't been able to stop!"

"Hey, I'm constantly anxious and want food!"

Mom laughed at that and began to close my door. "Well, I hope you continue baking. Even when you're anxiety gets better. You make the greatest sweets, my sweet." She closed the door.

I sighed and flopped back down on the bed. Will my anxiety ever get better?

A couple years ago - the beginning of 7th grade, I believe - I was told to see a therapist once a week. So, I did. She's become one of the few people I can trust and has helped me through so much. She's even the reason I started baking. It's my only coping mechanism for my anxiety.

I closed my eyes and let out a breath. I should do some meditation before I bake. I have so much stress right now...

I wouldn't cry. I think I've mastered holding back my tears and pretending that everything is fine. Truth be told, all I wanted to do right now is break down and cry.

I can't give up.

I will keep going.

I sat up and took another breath. "Life is going to be ok. It always is." I took out my phone and pulled up the picture Chrom took of everyone at lunch today. Everyone looked so happy and comfortable being with one another. Even I looked somewhat happy.

"Things are going to get better. I can feel it! I'm going to try and be more open to people! And with Chrom's help, I know I can do it!"

I turned my phone off and stood up. "Look out, world. Anna Komodori is ready to finally face you!"

________________

Sorry about all the anxious Anna stuff. I just wanted her to get her moment of the spotlight since Chrom's been hogging it all. Anyways, this story will now alternate POV like in Before Awakening. Next week will be Chrom. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: La La: The Cab