Fitting Right In

Anna

"I'm really sorry I haven't been here for lunch the past few weeks," I apologized to Mrs. Woods.

She dismissed me with a hand. "Don't be. I'm glad you're making friends." She smiled. "Now, I bet those friends are waiting for you."

I laughed. "Yeah, they probably are." I slung my bag over my shoulder. "See ya tomorrow!"

"Bye!"

...

"Hey, Anna!" Sully greeted me as I sat down.

"Hey!" I smiled. Everyone else greeted me with excitement. I managed to click with these guys faster than I thought I would. I felt comfortable around them. I finally had a group of friends. I was really anxious with them at first, but I warmed up within a few days. They treated me like I was one of them. Like I've been with them forever. They made me feel welcomed.

Maybe it's because I bring them desserts every once and awhile, but I'll take what I can get.

"Nice to see ya, Bubbles." Gaius slid next to me. "Um, did you by any chance..."

I laughed and pulled out a box full of cupcakes. "Yes. I brought you guys food."

"You're the best!" Gaius took his cupcake and went back to his spot. Everyone laughed and took their own cupcakes while thanking me.

"Thanks, Anna." Chrom smiled at me. "When did you have time to make these? I would have thought that you would be cramming for exams."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, I was studying, but I got too stressed out so I made cupcakes."

"Of course you did." He ruffled my hair.

I stuck my tongue out at him and giggled. "So, have you chosen a new class?"

Chrom sighed and took a bite of his sandwich. "No, and it's really stressing me out," he said. "I have little to no ideas."

"Maybe you can take a computer class. Those are fun!" Gaius suggested.

Chrom shook his head. "No... I'm not really that big of a computer person."

"You can sign up for Gym again!" Vaike exclaimed. Sully nodded in agreement.

Chrom shivered. "I will not go through that hell again."

"Textiles?" Cordelia suggested. Everyone stared at her for a minute, then laughed.

"That's funny, Chrom sewing." I wiped away a tear.

"Back to what I was saying," Chrom interrupted, "I really need to make a decision by tomorrow."

I blushed and fidgeted with my hands. "Well, like I've said before: I think you should take Psychology with me," I said. "I think you'd like it."

Chrom sighed. "You know, I may just go with that."

My heart leaped in my chest. "R-really?!"

He smiled at me. "Yeah, and it'll be nice to have another class with you."

My heart jumped again. Why am I getting so excited about this?! "Great! I'm glad I could help!" Seriously, calm down.

...

"Uggghhh..." I slammed my head on my desk. "I hate exams so much..."

"Don't we all?" Mom came into my room and sat down. "I was the same way when I was your age."

I looked up. "I'm totally gonna fail..."

Mom sighed and began to rub my back. "Why do you say that?"

"I'm taking so many advanced classes!" I groaned. "It's too much to handle... What was I thinking..."

Mom took me into her arms and hugged me. "You are a hard worker and can do anything you put your mind to. I promise."

Tears began to fall from my eyes. "It's harder than you think, Mom!" I shouted.

"I know it is. Things have changed since I was a kid," she sighed. "But you have a good head on your shoulders and can face whatever life throws at you."

I dug my nails into my hands. "I wish I could just curl into a ball and ignore the world for the rest of eternity..."

"Don't say that, love." Mom pulled away and looked me in the eyes. "You are going to go very far in life. You are going to show the world who's boss!"

"Well, it's clearly not me."

"Alright, enough." Her tone was suddenly low and serious. "No more doubting yourself. You're more clever and strong than you think. Way more than I was when I was your age." She hugged me once more. "You are so full of doubt and not enough confidence. You truly are a talented girl. Never think that you're not."

...I wish it was that easy to understand, but she's right... Maybe if I start being more confident, my anxiety will get better!

I finally hugged her back and sighed. "Ok, Mom... I'll try to be better. I promise."

____________

I SURVIVED MY EXAMS! YAY! Honestly, my brain is tired and I don't even know how to think right now. Yeah. We're halfway done with the school year, and with this story! This year is flying by so fast holy wow. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: You Will Always Be The One: Loving Caliber