Lucille and the Doctor (14th Doctor - I invented)

The noise. I've gotta stop the noise. It wheezes and groans like an old centurion with back problems. I've done practically everything that I can to try to stop it. It has been repeating itself for the past ten minutes. When it first started, I had looked towards where it was coming from. There was nothing there.
I looked again a minute ago. There was a box. A big, blue, 1960s style Police Box. There was a light atop it that kept flashing. I thought it might give my sister a fit, so I went out – still in my nightie (What? It was nine pm) – to tell the person inside to turn the light off properly. I didn't expect any of what happens next. I wish that I'd never wanted to sleep with the curtains open that damnable night.

That's not true. I do enjoy my new life. I just can't cope with living both lives. My homework is never done. All of my subjects – apart from History, Geography and my languages – have gradually gotten harder. Well, basically, my grades have slipped. My teachers have noticed that something is off. They know that a straight A* student doesn't just suddenly start failing out of nowhere.
But the stranger in the box... He was just so awesome. He was my kind of man – and only three years older than me, too. At least, that's how much older he looked...
∞ ∞ ∞
She was playing up again. She landed me in a random field next to a semi-detached house. She – by the way – is my TARDIS. She's always playing up. Anyway, we'd just finished landing when I heard a knock on the door.
'Impossible,' I thought, while walking over to the door. I opened it. Outside was a girl. In a nightie. Hands on hips. She had dark-brown hair with teal highlights in; black eyes – well, almost black eyes – and she was also about 6'2".
She did not seem pleased with me. She looked like she'd just been woken up by the TARDIS. I inwardly sighed. I knew what the TARDIS was doing. She was trying to find someone like Clara, the girl who had been so important in my life that I couldn't remember anything about.
Other than the fact that she wasn't happy with me, the girl seemed nice enough. "What? Does the door have graffiti on it again?"
"No. You almost gave my little sister a fit with your light flashing. Would you mind turning it... oh." I think she said 'oh' because she saw that the light was off.
"What's your name?" I asked, curiously.
"Normally, in this situation, people would be asking why I'm in a nightie, not what my name is," she replied, matter-of-factly.
"In case you haven't noticed, I'm not normal," I replied, matching her tone exactly. Her angry glare cracked and a small smile formed on her lips.
"I'm not normal either. Which is probably why I'm not questioning your methods of arriving in my back garden. By the way, you're crushing my mother's Dahlias."
"I can move if you want..." She cut me off before I finished that thought process.
"Personally, I say crush them all you want. I'm not that into flowers and all that nonsense. What is the point to flowers, other than making you sneeze?" She had a very valid argument. She sounded like she'd been rehearsing that complaint in front of a mirror.
"Fair enough. So, what's your name?" I replied, already liking the girl. Her question reminded me of Bill, as well. She was a good character, was Bill. This girl, however, reminded me more of Susan, my granddaughter.
"Lucille. What about you, mister?" I'd almost forgotten that I looked like a twenty-year-old, again.
I sighed to myself. I'd really brought this on myself, hadn't I? "I'm the Doctor. Before you ask, it's just the Doctor."
"I wasn't going to ask that..."
"Oh. That's new. What were you going to ask?"
"Are you a Doctor of everything?" I looked straight at her. That was definitely new. "They said that a Doctor of everything would be able to cure my sister's epilepsy."
"Who... Who are 'they'?" I was scared. The last time something like this had happened... I couldn't remember. I think I almost remembered something about this Clara.
She looked straight at me. "The people at the hospital. You know, the people who diagnosed the epilepsy." She thought for a second. "Actually, they said something about a Blue Box, as well."
"Are you positive that they said 'Blue Box'? Sometimes people get confused."
"No, the words Blue and Box definitely passed their lips consecutively, in that order."
"Oh. Okay."
"You were really hoping that I wasn't sure, weren't you?" I nodded, surprised that she worked that out so quickly. "Sorry to disappoint. Anyway, do you wanna come in and check? It'll only be quick and our parents are both away on a course."
Again, I nodded, following Lucille from the door of the TARDIS up the winding garden-path to the house. She slowly opened the patio doors leading into the dining room, so as to avoid them creaking. 'She must sneak into her own garden at night a lot,' I thought as she expertly opened them silently. I followed her through the downstairs of the house to a small, narrow staircase that led all the way up.
When we reached the staircase, she turned to face me. "Originally, mum and dad bought this as their first proper home, so it's only supposed to have one bedroom. When I was on the way, they had the attic converted, so that I had a room to myself. Come on, I'll take you up." She spun on her heel to face the stairs once more. It was at this point that I noticed that her feet were shoeless, despite having just been outside, in the garden.
We started walking up the stairs. As we walked, I asked: "So, do you normally go barefoot around the garden?" She nodded.
"But tonight's not about me. It's about you healing my baby sister's epilepsy."
"How old is she?"
"She turns ten next month."
∞ ∞ ∞
I led the stranger – who called himself 'The Doctor' – up the stairs to mine and my sister's attic bedroom. After I'd told him my sister's age, he remained silent. Perhaps I had frightened him. I often do that when more concerned by my sister's wellbeing. However, he didn't seem like the type to be easily frightened, unlike others.
He had these eyes. They were beautiful. They were black – almost the midnight-blue of the void we call space. And his hair was a gritty, sandy, sunburnt blonde, like a beach set alight by the sun's rays. He was about 6-foot tall, two inches smaller than me. He looked to be about twenty – three-years older than me, with my stretched seventeen-year-old's body.
Occasionally, I'd look back, make sure he was still following, and his eyes would meet mine for a fraction of a second. Then I'd turn away, ears burning bright red under my shoulder-length, black-brown-with-teal-highlights hair. He looked really nice – you know, in a professional sort of way.
When we reached the top, the door to the attic stood solidly before us. There was no way to prevent my sister from waking up now. No matter how hard I tried, I'd never been able to open this door without it making the same creaking-squeaking noise. Show time. No matter what happened, when we entered that room, my little sister would be awake, ready to see who was coming, aware that I wasn't in my bed.
I sighed and grabbed the handle. I twisted it slowly. Ella must've already been awake because I heard her voice warble from inside, "W... who is it?" She was trying so hard to sound hard, solid, firm, like I'd taught her. The only way for us to fit in and do well at school – her especially – was if we blocked out fear, anger and all other emotions. Of course, our classmates made it very trying at times – sometimes I would come home from school and find her hidden under my bed, the way she always does when she's upset.
"It's okay, El, it's me." A hand lets go of the handle from inside the room.
"Who's with you, Lu? I heard you talking."
"A doctor, Ella. A Doctor of everything."
"Are you sure this time, Lucille?" I opened the door to see my little sister in her nightie, hugging her blanket to her chest, protectively. I nodded.
"This is the Doctor. Just the Doctor. He told me he's a doctor of everything. And his Blue Box is crushing the Dahlias." I pointed to the window while saying this last bit. She immediately ran to the window to make sure I wasn't lying. Sure enough, she saw the big Blue Box in our garden, on the only flower patch.
"Okay, Lu. For you." She walked back over to her bed and sat down. "You forgot his case. Don't make him get it. You get it." She had our whole conversation with me before I even said any of my parts. The Doctor looked at me, confused.
"I'll need a key," I replied to his confused stares. "Otherwise, how will I get in?" In shock of my sister's one-sided conversation, he handed me a small key automatically and said:
"There you go, Clara. Now you can get in whenever you want." I looked at him.
"Umm, Doctor?" I asked. "I'm Lucille, not 'Clara'." He didn't seem to hear me, so I just wandered back down the stairs and to the back door. I strode through the garden to the Dahlia patch. As soon as I put the key into the lock, I had flashes of scenes of his past and future. I was there. As soon as they were gone, a split second later, I turned the key and strode in.
It was so much bigger. So, so much bigger than the outside. I saw a little bag on a seat beside this hexagonal console. I walked over to it. There was a yellow post-it note on it. All it said was, 'Useful'. As I picked it up, I glanced around the room that I had entered. In the centre was a raised platform with the hexagonal console at the centre. I presumed that this is what people would call a 'console room'. The walls were dark with circles of light grey attached to them.
At the top of a short flight of stairs was a bookcase and a blackboard. Intrigued, I wandered up the stairs to the blackboard. I'd never seen one, they'd all disappeared by the time I went to school, replaced by whiteboards. I saw a lot of writing on the one side, but it was hidden from view. I walked around the board to where it had been written. I read all of the information – it taking me three milliseconds and recognised a name that kept cropping-up on the board. One that I had heard from the strange man's mouth just a second before.
Clara. It was practically the only word on there, though it seemed to have been written by three different hands. One was saying about how the next guy should look after Clara... he'd need her help for something. The next handwriting was asking questions: 'Am I a good man, Clara?' and others like that. But the third. The third looked like it had just been written. It looked as though it belonged to the man I had just met. 'Clara. Where are you Clara? Why, Clara? Why did you leave me? Who sent you away?'
The man was obviously obsessed by finding this Clara-lady. This was the first point at which I made a rash decision. I decided, right then and there, that I would help the man to find his Clara, so long as my sister was healed. My purpose decided, I left the ship and returned to mine and my sister's attic-bedroom. However, when I got there, the Doctor had already healed my little sister of her epilepsy.
He was holding a thin cylindrical tube in his left hand and smiling. So was Ella. Smiling, not holding the cylindrical tube. When he heard me open the old attic door he turned and lifted up this object. "Sonic Screwdriver," he said, as if that was supposed to mean something to me. "Never leave the TARDIS without it."
I stepped further into the room and asked, "I assume that's the Dimensionally Transcendental Blue Box on the Dahlias." He looked at me, shocked once more. "Why didn't you tell me it was Dimensionally Transcendental?"
Once he'd composed himself, he said, "Most people don't know or understand that phrase."
"That's because it's not a phrase, but a scientific term and a lot of people don't like science," I explained as he tripped up on his words.
"How'd you like to come traveling?" he asked, once he'd got his thoughts in the order that he required.
"Who'd look after my sister?"
"When do your parents come back?"
"In the morning, why?"
"Oh, you'll be fine," he said, grinning. "We'll be back in a minute or less!"
"What sort of place can you get to in less than half a minute?!" I asked, incredulously.
"Oh, anywhere, if you have the right equipment!" He gave me a cheeky grin.
"What about my sister? Who'll look after her while I'm off having adventures?"
"Why would she need looking after if you're gone for less than a minute and she's asleep?" He pointed to her bed. He was right. While we'd been arguing, I hadn't noticed her get into bed and go to sleep.
I sighed. Secretly, the idea of going on an adventure sounded amazing. Plus, I had my promise that I'd made to myself to help him find the woman important to him. "Okay, where are you taking me? Mongolia? Myanmar? Peru?"
His grin widened as he said, "I was thinking somewhere a bit further afield." I raised my eyebrow, confused. 'What could he mean?'
"Take me to your... Wait, I'm still in my nightie. Go and wait in your TARDIS, I'll be down any minute." It was his turn to be confused. "I'm not going traveling anywhere until I'm dressed in something that isn't my nightie." He shrugged, walked to the door, then turned to face me.
"I'm waiting in the TARDIS, don't take too long." Then, he left the room and walked down the stairs towards the back garden.
I hurried to get dressed. I grabbed the first outfit that I saw, which happened to be: my skinny jeans with red skull patterns on them; my Panic! At The Disco t-shirt; my psych-ward hoodie from Blue Banana and my knee-high converse-boots. I left the door to the attic open so that I wouldn't wake my sister up when I returned. I tip-toe-ran down the stairs, going as quickly and quietly as I could. When I reached the garden, I was glad of my thick hoodie, as the temperature had decreased rapidly since I'd came for the Doctor's bag.
I pushed the door to the TARDIS open and the Doctor seemed surprised at my lack of reaction. Then he hit his head: "Of course! You came back for something already, so you know about this."
"So, what does TARDIS mean?"
"Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. The TARDIS. Or, as I call her, The Old Girl."
"Do you talk to her?" he looked at me, confused. "What? Lots of men talk to their cars, so why can't I think that you'd talk to your ship?"
"I only talk to her sometimes. When we're alone."
"So while you were flying her before she landed in my mum's flowers?" He nodded. "When are we setting off?"
He smiled. "We've already landed."
"Really?!" He nodded. "Where?!"
"Dunno, that's the beauty of traveling with me in the TARDIS. You never know where you're going next!" he grinned at me and, this time, I shared it with him. He stuck his hand out to me. "Shall we go and find out where we are?" I nodded and grabbed his hand.
He led us to the door and opened it by clicking his fingers on his free hand. Outside, the landscape was very different to my garden. There was long, red grass stretching as far as the eye could see. The sky was a sun-burnt orange, with twin suns way up high. I guessed that it was about midday where we'd landed, based upon the positions of the suns.