13

Skip to NHL Draft day•

"Holy crap i'm nervous!" Mitch said.

"Don't be! I know saying that doesn't help much but your going to be fine!" I said grabbing his hands and pulling him into me.

He wrapped his arms around me and just took a deep breath.

"okay i'm ready" he said.

Grabbing my hand we walked out of the hotel room and went to the elevator. While we were waiting a few other boys who were here for the draft were waiting with us. Once the elevator got to the floor we all got in and pressed the button for level 1.

The hotel was only a short walk from the BB&T Center and it was nice out considering we were in Florida.

"Once we get there we're going to have to find our seats right away. It's already 6:30 and everything starts at 7"

"alright!" I said pulling the tickets out of my pocket.

We got inside finally and went to find our seats. Sitting beside Mitch's parents we just waited until it was 7.

Soon the draft had started there were three picks before Mitch.

The Leafs coach went up to the stage and took the mic.

"We are please to select Mitch Marner from the Edmonton Oil Kings"

Everyone started clapping Mitch got up and walked towards the stage. Climbing the stairs he put on the jersey and hat then took a photo.

He looked good in the leafs blue.

Once he was off the stage I got up and went over to him.

"I'm so proud of you Mitch! I told you that you had absolutely nothing to worry about!" I smiled.

"thanks baby!" he smiled.

"Photo time!"

We looked and saw Mitch's mom coming over with her camera. She snapped a photo of Mitch and me, then I took one of her, Mitch, and Mitch's dad.

"So what do we do now?" Mitch asked.

All of us actually unsure of what happened now.

Once the draft weekend was over we had to fly back to Edmonton to make it to school on Tuesday. We had skipped Monday because it was just reviews for our diplomas.

Walking into school on Tuesday Lexi found us and congratulated Mitch on his draft to the Leafs. Lots of people were coming up to Mitch in the hallway to congratulate him or ask him questions.

Me and Lexi had left Mitch so we could go to our lockers.

"Did you ask him what happens to you guys when he leaves for Toronto?" Lexi asked.

"no I didn't I'm just going to let him enjoy this for now!"

"okay but you have about a month until he leaves for the pre-season."

"yeah I know, maybe tonight or something i'll ask him"

"alright! Let me know how it goes"

"I will"

We grabbed our things from our lockers and walked to class. I actually hated school so much so I was happy that it would be over next week.

Finally making it to class we sat in our usual spots and just talked for most of the class. We had a substitute teacher today and he told us to study all class, but me, Lexi, and Mitch took advantage and just talked the whole time. oops!

"So! Do you guys want to hangout at my Billets place tonight?" Mitch asked.

"Shouldn't you be gone already? Like no offence but like your season ended in March?" Lexi asked.

"yeah I should be but my billet parents said that if I wanted to stay with you guys I could"

"well that was nice of them" Lexi said.

"yeah, also next week is graduation! I'm super excited just to walk across the stage and get my diploma and be done with school"

"and don't forget the dinner and dance and after grad!" Lexi said.

"i'm not going" I said.

"Ryan! why not." Lexi whined.

"because I don't want to? It's just a waste of money to walk around in dresses and tuxedos and take photos and eat and dance"

"for some people it's not..." she said.

I clearly offended her.

"i'm sorry Lexi"

"it's okay" she sighed.

"I just thought my bestfriend would be at graduation with me and we could take cute photos in our dresses. I haven't had a friend like you in years. Grade ten and eleven were actually a living hell because of Lucy and Claire and Emily. They told everyone to stay away from me because I brought my Winnipeg weirdness with me so everyone did they stayed away and I didn't have a friend for two years, so when you showed up on the first day I was so excited" she started crying.

I didn't know what to say. I just pulled her up and out of her seat, grabbing her things and mine. Looking at Mitch he followed suit and got up as well. We all ran out of class with the sub yelling after us.

"Well wanna go to the rink?" I asked.

"sure" Lexi smiled.

"oh and Lex, I'll think about coming next week" I said.

"you don't have to! I understand where your coming from plus that's a lot of money for you to be spending to be stuck in a place that you don't really want to be"

"maybe i'll just come in a dress take photos with you and then go home when everyone goes to eat"

"okay! I'd like that!"

Walking towards Mitch's car we left and went to each of our places to get our skates. Once we had stopped to pick them all up we went to Rogers Place hoping to find my brother.

Once we got there I called him and he came to let us in.

"You know usually this isn't allowed but Coach Todd likes you for some reason Ryan" Leon smiled.

"alright cool! Tell him thanks for letting us in here! We won't tear up the ice to bad" I laughed.

"yeah whatever little sis. Connor is staying for a bit so whenever your done let him know and he'll lock up when you all leave"

"okay! thanks again my dude, see you at home" giving him a fist bump he walked away.

We all sat on the bench and laced up our skates. Lexi being the first one done she stepped on the ice and just took it all in.

"This is crazy, I have wanted to skate here since I moved here" she said.

"well here you are!" I smiled.

Lexi took off taking a lap waiting for me and Mitch.

"Can you believe i'll be playing here next year?" he whispered.

And then it dawned on me. Mitch was leaving soon and I didn't know where this left us or if I was coming with him.