Never Too Late

XII. Never Too Late

Prompt: Inspired by the movie Last Night & The Chainsmokers - You Owe Me.

____

Blue skies up above.

Then the waking buzz of the city down below.

And Kisses was standing in the middle of it all.

But not for long. She'd first go down then up, hopefully.

To go down, she must first do this: move closer to the drop-dead edge of a rooftop platform of a 22-story commercial building.

Slowly and silently like clockwork, she removed her shoes, one-by-one and shivered, feeling the cold cemented floor and the dense breeze scraping on her skin.

She hopes for rain later for the reasons that she has so long kept for herself. So that it could hopefully wash away the one bad thing that she's about to do today. So that the rain could somehow erase her existence along with it.

The sky crying for her loss is just an added bonus.

She moved and held on to nothing but a cold metal railing at waist-level.

These steel bars are erected to securely keep people from accidentally falling off the edge. Which is ironic, because that is actually the only thing that's holding her back from doing her main goal.

She closed her eyes, took a heavy breath, and resolved herself.

I'm going to do this. I'm going to.

The morning wind brushed her face. It smelled of new beginnings and sad endings and Kisses tried to recall every reason she had as to why she's now standing at the edge of her world.

For Kisses, living on this world is like running a marathon she didn't sign up for. Its hot, dramatic and its the survival of the fittest: such is her life.

Later she realizes, that she can develop her agility by practice, and yet there will always be people who will still run faster and better than her. There will always be people who will ran over her, step on her, judge her, mock her.

People say that everyone has their own pace.

But Kisses' was always too late, never good enough.

What was wrong with her? Why can't she be like normal people? Why can't she just accept life as it is? Why?

She never really belonged.

And it wasn't fair.

But then again, Life was never fair.

Because if it was, then surely she wouldn't have these problems. And every single person on her world would be able to live happy, contented and normal lives.

She just wants to end it all.
So she found an answer: Suicide.

"Hey."

A chill went up her spine when she heard a voice. A manly, silky voice.

Is that you God? Or is it the Devil?

Kisses slowly turned from her position and tried her hardest not to panic at the sight of a person standing just a few steps away from her.

He had a dark frown on his face which dissolved into indifference at the sight of her surprise. He was carrying a grocery bag from 7Eleven. His breakfast, she guessed.

The stranger quirked a brow, "What are you doing here?"

Silence.

Then, "Stay back!" Kisses ordered.