Chapter 20

When I came to I heard a beeping as well as some talking and mummers. Slowly I cracked my eyes open blinking to adjust to the bright light and white that was everywhere.
"Doctors say that he should be waking anytime now" a familiar voice said.
"It's a miracle he was still standing, thankfully everything was healed" another one sighed.
"Shikamaru, Asuma" I said, my voice cracking and instantly they shot up and looked at me.
"Are you okay? How are you feeling? Do you need anything? Do you feel any pain? Is there anything we can do?" they shot off at me before I could even breath, making me smile.
"No I'm fine sorry for worrying you, how long was I out?" I enquired looking at them.
"Two weeks, you had major chakra exhaustion, your right leg was broken, a lot of cuts and nicks as well as a sprained left hand" Shikamaru reported looking a bit angry.
"I'm sorry Shikamaru" I apologised looking down and he sighed running his hands through his hair.
"I can't blame you since I know you would do it again, it's who you are but you had us worried sick we thought that, that-" Shikamaru tried but he got a little choked up and I reached up and grabbed his hand placing it on my chest.
"Feel that? It's my heartbeat Shikamaru. It means I am alive," I said and he nodded just sitting next to the bed, his head on my chest listening to my heart.
"Naruto and Jiraya have gone to Tsunade, Father has decided it's time for him to retire" Asuma spoke up and I nodded.
"And Orochimaru?" I questioned.
"No one has heard or seen anything" Asuma said and I nodded once more before yawning.
"Rest you may be healed but you still need it after all you're still a kid" Asuma chuckled and I nodded falling back asleep.

When I woke up again it was to see Choji, Ino, Shikamaru and Asuma there pacing back and forth.
"What's up?" I asked sitting up and they looked at me worriedly.
"It's the council, they think that you are a traitor and wish for you to be kicked out of the village or worse executed" Asuma growled and I knew if he wasn't in a hospital he would have a smoke.
"It's because I helped Zabuza and Haku, isn't it? As well as taking Orochimaru on even when it should have been impossible isn't it?" I sighed and they nodded.
"Hm.....Perhaps I can strike a deal" I said tapping my chin, my mind kicking into high gear.
"What do you mean?" Ino asked and I looked down a little guilty after all I hadn't told them yet.
"I....After the chunin exams I was going to go on a three year training mission away from the leaf village even before all of this happened" I said and their eyes widened.
"Why didn't you tell us?" Choji questioned, looking at me sadly.
"I didn't make up my mind until this last month.....The thing is, my parents are out there somewhere. All I have is my mother's initials. All I have to do is find who they belong to and talk to them. I'm so close but I can't find anything in the leaf" I explained.
"So you want to go and check the other villages" Asuma sighed and I nodded.
"I will put this forward, Father and the ninja heads are all with you so they will stick up for you that much I know" Asuma said and I nodded and smiled at them still feeling guilty.
"Hey don't look like that we know you would have told us sooner or later but with everything that is going on we understand why you haven't yet. You can always send us letters each second day so we can keep up with you" Shikamaru suggested and I nodded, hugging them tightly even with tears in my eyes.
"You guys are the best, you know that right?" I smiled and they smiled nodding.
"We will see you later, I'll go pack your apartment up even if it is a drag" Shikamaru sighed and I smiled a little chuckling before they left. When they were gone I pulled myself out of the hospital bed and grabbed my clothes that had been sitting on the chair for me and headed to the bathroom.