Chapter 5: New Girl

Life is fist boredom, then fear.

- Philip Larkin

Studying. What a wonderful word. What an awesome activity to exercise and use up the grey cells in my brain.... NOT!

In fact, I wander who invented this..this utterly frustrating tiring practice. Education is good, reading books is outta this world. It's a place I can call my own. Getting to know the ancestral past and imagining the probable future. But where did studying come from? Can anyone tell me that please? And exams. Don't even get me started on that. Whoever the person killed something refreshing and beautiful as knowledge into a steel fence covered area of cramming and exams, if any of you do find him/her, do tell me, my bazooka is ready to kiss their face.

Okay so I knew medical college was hard. The first month seemed all rosy but then when the memorizing phase begun, it suddenly changed colors. It's like here I am, joyfully dancing away with my unicorns in marshmallow and chocolate land when a shade comes named ' study ' leaving me to tackle the land with my book and my pen. Hmm, maybe that's where the expression came from- the pen is mightier than the sword!

I sat down with my physiology book and opened the assigned chapter. It was 3 pm. Didn't feel like sleeping so I thought, what the heck, lemme just kill this shade now. As I took notes and drew to a concluding phase, I looked at the clock ticking away. 7:30 pm. Enough for today.

" I'm done. "

" Me too, " Olivia said stretching her arms.

I went to the washroom to wash my face. Winter was setting in and I was beyond happy. The cool water washed away some fatigue. I threw on my sweater and despite Olivia's warnings, went to my favorite spot- the roof.

Over the last month I had visited the roof everyday. Sky sorta became my roof-buddy. He was funny and had an awesome sense of humor. He was one of the few guy friends I had. And I never regretted making him my friend. After that day I hadn't seen Sky smoke and when I asked the reason, he always changed the topic. So I let it go.

I reached the roof, early as usual. Well, most-of-the-time-early type of usual. I went over to the flowers and looked at them. The roses were big enough to play cricket with. And they were so full and pretty. The jasmines radiated their sweet smell whenever I stood near them. The lilies were so white and big that they put the fake flowers to shame. But funny how I never saw anyone here.

Well duh, because you come up here at night?

Yeah, that must be it.

And there must be magical fairies here.

" Do you want me to kill for you again? "

I looked around to see the same wavy haired guy I had grown used to seeing at this time for the past month. That knowing smile in his face.

" No thank you, I don't want to be held in the witness box in the court of flowers. They'd probably throw pollens at me and make me allergic. "

He laughed. I sat down beside the flowers and he came sitting beside me Indian style.

" Does your mom know you meet me here daily? " I asked.

" You make it sound like a date, auto, " he pouted. Okay. Worst duck face ever.

I laughed. This guy never fails to amuse me.

" Does your mama know, little girl? "

" Whatever, I was just curious. "

" So, how was your day, auto? "

" Studying and all, " I replied.

" Ugh, yeah. That's what an auto is supposed to do? Duh. "