Chapter 19: Annelise

Babies are soft. Anyone

looking at them can see the tender, fragile skin and know it for the rose-leaf softness that invites a finger's touch.

              - Diana Gabaldon

" So, how was it? Come on! Spill! " Olivia said.

" It was dreadful. I mean really, never knew a first date could be this bad, " I said rolling my eyes.

" But- but, you were singing yesterday when you came in, " she said with a confused look.

" Ugh, you silly girl! The date was amazing! And by amazing I don't just mean amazing. I mean totally fantabulous! " I said replaying the day in my head.

" Girl, you got me worried! " she playfully slapped my arm.

" Oh ow, I'm dying of pain. Oh! "

" Shut it drama queen. So, plans for today? "

" Other than the roof one? None I guess, " I said collecting my books. We headed to our next class- Anatomy.

I zoned in and out the whole class and at the end realized I would have to work double time for the parts I missed during my day dream. I kept rewinding to our kiss and the look in his eyes afterwards. It was so magical. I really should do something for him.

I mean why not? Guys do so much to impress the girls and keep them happy. Why shouldn't we do the same? I thought about it and came up with a plan. I hoped he would like it.

I went to the mall after college with Olivia and found what I was looking for after searching a number of places. Perfect!

We reached home and I hopped into the shower beating Olivia to it. She whined a bit but gave up as soon as she heard the shower go off. I hummed the tune of Tom and Jerry Kids show. I really had no idea how that song popped in my mind.

I was going loony. Yeah, I was.

***************************

I heard shuffling when I reached the roof. The moon was full today and illuminated most of the roof. I looker around for the source of the noise and heard it again behind me. I swung my head and my eyes grew wide along with the smile on my face.

In front of me was a toddler with her finger in her mouth.

" Hey there princess! " I said as I crouched down and held my arms out for her. Unlike loads of other babies, she laughed and came running towards me. I carried her up in my arms and snuggled near her neck making her erupt into giggles. She was so cute, by God. Her cheeks were chubby and her hair was wavy, just like Sky's. That reminded me, where was Sky?

" Have you seen Sky, princess? " I asked in a baby tone. She made an O with her mouth and put her hands on top of her head. Oh God, I might just take her away, I thought.

" Well, why don't we just wait here princess? "

As if understanding me, she put her head down on my shoulder. I snuggled her in closer to me.

Babies. Precious angels of God. And my one big dream.

She lay quietly by my shoulder tapping and pressing my arms so very often.

" Well well, seems like she likes you already, " Sky said coming out of the shadows.

I giggled. " She is such a lovely doll. Who is she? " I asked while swaying with the baby.

" She is the newest member of our family, " he replied with a smile.

I widened my eyes. " Where was she hiding all these days? "