Chapter 14: Happy Birthday

You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.

                  - Jonathan Safran Foer

The person huffed. I kept my eyes trained on the picture in front of me.

" Why didn't you try to find out if there was anything mutual? "

" I was scared, " I say.

" What for? "

" What if I lost my friend? "

The person looked down, my words weighing down in mind.

" Always treasure your true friends. They are very rare to come by. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So we made our way to our friend, Tanya's house for the baking party. Olivia was acting normal but I could see something in her eyes, I just couldn't pin point it.

I had no idea what she thought of my feelings. And at that point, I was scared of her leaving me. She has been a great friend since class 8 and I doubt I would ever be able to find a girl like her to be my friend.

Had I committed a mistake when I told her the truth? Would it have been better if I had not told anything at all? Or if I had given her an answer the other night?

" Hey, there they are! " Tanya exclaims opening the door.

" Wouldn't have missed it, " Olivia laughs.

I smile and step in. Okay, the house was a freaking duplex house! Oh My God! I had always wanted to visit a duplex house!

The dining room being placed downstairs along with two rooms and a living room as well as the kitchen at the side, it was a bit cramped up but man, it was a Duplex House!

We went up the spiral stair case to Tanya's room and boy, that was a beauty. The room was medium and neatly arranged, well apart from the girls on the bed. The roof was stepped and inside each step lights of blue and white colour were placed. And that was something. It felt like a fashion show!

A huge grin was plastered to my face at the beauty before me. This was perfect.

" Hey Tanya, gift this house to me during my marriage, will you? " I laughed.

She laughed and replied, " Of course! Anything for you. "

We laughed and played a bit of bluff. But I just couldn't manage a poker face. My bad.

Lunch was awesome. I mean yeah, back home it's awesome too but well, I like rich food a bit and the Biriyani was outta this world.

Soon we went to bake. Me, Olivia, Shaeera, Sousan, Anna and Tanya. 

And soon after loads of toiling and me cracking an egg along with the shell, we managed to make a bunch of brownies. Wait, I did take out the shells.

And oh, the heavenly smell. It was perfect! The brownie was cut into 16 pieces and we got 2 each. I decided to take mine home. And thus wrapping it up and after taking some crazy pictures, Olivia and I headed to the mall.

I just couldn't decide what to get Sky. And after loads of decisions between Olivia and I, it was decided that we would take a watch and a guy bracelet thingy. I mean it doesn't even look like a bracelet.

The inscription on the bracelet was ' FF '. Friends Forever. And I thought this was better than those having inscriptions as: Survival or Death something whatever.