Prologue

Uneditted. Feel free to point out my shortcomings.

PROLOGUE

The world is like a Mask dancing. If you want to see it well you do not stand in one place.

- Chinua Achebe

" Everyone had a really wonderful day. Cinderella and her Prince lived happily ever after."

I sighed closing the " Princess Treasury"- one of my all time favourite fairytale books. I might have read the story of Cinderella for like the zillionth time and watched the movie for the millionth time but it never failed to make me happy. I looked out of the balcony where I was sitting. The sun was setting behind those buildings over the west cone. People hardly saw the sun rise or set now owing to the high rise buildings. But luckily our side of the building had an open space out back.

The sky was illuminated in the brightest gold colour; one which I hardly witnessed. The radiance spread all over the place turning the surroundings into a golden mystic land. As if the rays wanted to turn everything gold with their Midas' touch. A bird flew by silently. A cool breeze brushed past carrying the smell of grass and flowers. I sat there drinking in every moment.

Last two years or more I barely got to enjoy what I always loved so much- nature. Even though the busy city life hardly let that happen, sometimes slipping through the wrought iron cage natural beauty; God's blessing would land there. But did people realise that? If so,how many did?

I looked down at my book. The hard bound pink cover had a heart engraved in front of it framing a portrait of Snow-White and her Prince. The border held more pink shimmery dust. Small hearts and stars sat on the cover yet made of shimmery dust of pink and a hint of white.

Bluish hue was beginning to take over the gold beauty over the horizon. Evening was about to set in. Chilly wind began to blow,kissing the plants and flowers in front of me on the way. The hallway bathed in golden air. The house is silent as everyone here seeks comfort in their beddings from the cold whether. So peaceful,so perfect. Oh,how I wish I had a time stopper then! Because I didn't know if I can face the next day. At all.

Getting up, I walked to my room. The lavender walls bearing pictures of my childhood and two of my paintings stood gloomily there. My reading table which I always kept disarrayed now stood clean with just my calendar and table clock on it. My bed covered in white and purple worked bed sheet beckoned me to stay back. But I couldn't. I had made my decision. I sat on the edge of my bed and and took a photo frame. It held a picture of me when I was in Class-1. I was clad in my white PT dress holding a Mickey briefcase in my hand. Two ponytails on either side and a carefree smile. When did life turn from treats and sleep to decisions and decisions?

They lay there in the corner of my room. My heart clenched; partially dreading and partially waiting for the next day. Tonight was gonna be busy and I was going to stay with my family as much as I could. I didn't know whether that would encourage me or hold me back even tighter.

But progress calls for change,right? And maybe for me it meant leaving from there. Leaving my home. But would the decision turn out to be good? Or would it abate me? The answers would be given by time, I guessed.

As for then all I can do was wait.

And wait.

For the clock to tick by.

For the stars to rise and set.

Welcoming the advent of the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~×~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ladies and gentlemen, readers off all ages and culture, Welcome. Welcome to my story.

Your entrance in my thought's kingdom is genuinely thanked by its Queen. ^...^

Free ice creams and Choco Loco for all you pretty people!

And oh, I heard if someone gifts you anything, it's only right to gift that someone back.

So,on your way out,can you please please press any one of these doors

Vote

Comment

Share

Thank you! ^...^