Chapter 33: Telling The Doctor

It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.

              -John Joseph Powell

Amaya's POV

I woke up with the same sting in my eyes and an unbearable pain shooting through my head. The bright light around me made me squint and it took me a few good minutes to adjust to the light. Turning my head I saw a nurse sponging me. How did I get here?

The nurse looked at me and  smiled warmly. I tried to return the smile back but I guess the only thing I was able to return was a slight lift of the corner of my lips.

" Finally, you're awake, '' she said and took the cloth from my head. She dipped it in cold water again and placed it on my head.

" Can you please place it over my eyes? " I said meekly. She nodded and readjusted the cloth. The cool water against my burning eyes were such a comfort that they automatically shut down again.

" Who brought me here? " I asked.

" Three guys. Your friends, I presume. "

Three guys. I tried remembering the past events. I remembered seeing Sky's face. But I was nor sure whether I was dreaming. Because I had been having weird dreams all day. I kept dreaming repeatedly that I was being drowned in a sea of people. I kept reaching out for someone but no one was there.

The nurse finished sponging and took my temperature.

" You still have a very high fever, " she said, " Plus your dehydration doesn't seem to help very much. "

I looked at the saline bag hanging from a clamp beside my bed. I ought to be dehydrated, I thought. I barely got a glass of water the whole day.

The thought of Bianca and the pale faced guy sent shudders down my body. " Are the boys here? " I asked the nurse who was again readjusting the cloth on my head.

" Yes, would you like to meet them? "

I nodded and she made her way to the door. I begn to feel the light sting of the needle in my hand and look at my now light purple wrists. Lucky they weren't cut, I thought.

" Amaya? " a familiar voice sounded making me smile.

" Sky, " I said breathlessly holding out a hand. Even that small gesture made me feel weak. He came over and sat beside me holding my hand. He kept rubbing the purple wrist lightly and bit his lip.

" I'm sorry, " was the first thing he said.

" Sorry for? "

" Leaving you with Bianca. I should have known better. "

I looked into his dark eyes, regret evident in them.

Its so strange that your eyes can betray and reveal your inner most thoughts. Your feelings.

" Are you crazy young man? " I managed a smile,  " No one saw that coming. Or else even I would have made my way home. "

We kept quiet for some time. " The doctor wants to know what happened, " Sky said breaking the silence.

" Did you tell him or her anything? "

" No. I said I needed to talk to you first. "

" Yeah, you did the right thing. "

" And your family. Shouldn't they know? "

I weighed my options. There was almost no chance for me to be tranferred to Dhaka. I had no idea what she would do. Maybe she would transfer me to a private medical? But after a year, I didn't think it was possible. Whatever be it, her worries would increase and I really didn't want that. Besides, I was alive. And Bianca... I guessed Sky would deal with her.

" No, not my family. Tell the doctor though. "

" Everything? "

" On second thought, maybe I should tell him. "

He looked at me, surprised. " I'll know better what to tell him right? " I said.

" Are you going to save her this time too? " he asked rubbing my hand against his cheek. He looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer. I made up my mind then.

" No. I won't. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Roy, my doctor came to my room. Listening to everything I had to say patiently. Sky was there as well. Whenever I would get tired, he would tell me to get some shut eye but I continued anyway. At last, he let out a deep sigh and said, " Did you have anything to eat since yesterday? "

" No, " I replied, " I don't feel hungry when I am sick anyways. "

" Unless you want a gastric pain, you should eat. " He turned to face Sky and said, " I know it's late and the canteen is the only place available now. It would be better if you get her something to eat. Without it, she won't be able to take her pills. "

Sky nodded and was out in an instant. I was left all alone in the room. Again.

I was doing the right thing, wasn't I?