Chapter 11 - Trust

Lili's POV

The more I stay here with Clayton, the worse I feel. He just sits there smiling at his watch as the time sicks by slowly. I have the urge to punch him square in the face. Maybe I could kick him, I do have heeled boots on. I don't know what has me thinking about attacking people. After a few hours, Clayton looks up at me, with that terrible smile plastered on his face. He wasn't kidding, he has gone insane.

"Do you wish to leave still?" Clayton inquires. I glare at him, then  thought comes to mind... No, no I do not want to leave.

"Why should you care?" I smirk at him. He doesn't deserve an answer.

"How about this... Do you miss your friends?" He's now kneeling in front of me.

"Friends? You mean the people who didn't come for me?" I don't break eye contact. Maybe an hour ago, I heard their voices, their vote to leave me. They were a mere 20 yards away, but I couldn't call out; my voice is too sore. I could've crawled towards them, but then... I heard the vote and I knew that maybe I should forget about them.

"Ah, so the forest has taken them from you. Answer me this, do you trust me?" His tone softens. It's weird, he took me to this place against my will. He wouldn't let me leave. He hurt Mitch and who knows how many other people. But, I do trust him and I could never know why.

"You could have killed me by now, but you haven't," I straighten my back against the tree I'm leaning on. I realize I didn't give him a real answer.

"Very true," He smiles a genuine smile. He almost looks... Peaceful. "You can always trust me. If I had been in the group looking for you, I wouldn't have left with the other. I would have stayed back and found you, no matter the consequences. Do you trust me?" 

My gut says he's telling the truth, but he did hurt Mitch, but, Mitch hurt me. The forest is getting to my head and making me a bad person, but after he said those things, I feel no anger towards him. I sigh quietly.

I'll take the risk.

"I do trust you, Clayton."