Chapter 32 - The Girl Who Cried Corpse

Jason's POV

Of course out of all of the places we could have gotten, we got an old 'abandoned' house adjacent from a cemetery. This isn't fair, like, what the actual heck! Over and over again, I rant about this to myself as I drive farther and farther away from campus and deeper an deeper into the unknown. The car is deadly silent; not a single peep from Lauren.

"What are the chances that anyone will actually live there?" I ask to break the silence. Lauren jumps in her seat and snaps her head in my direction. The open window blows her dirty blonde hair into her face. "This part of town doesn't have anyone living in it."

"Oh... Maybe he's some creepy guy and then we'll have our murderer," she offers. I think that over.

"Well, not all creepy guys are murderers. I mean, look at Mitch and Ty," I chuckle at my own joke. Lauren giggled before sitting up and looking out of the windshield.

"We're here," she unbuckles and dashes out of the car. Hastily, I copy her and race off after her. She's stopped right in her tracks in front of the cemetery. Lauren just stands there, so I assume that I can walk around. I go to the house and muster up the courage to try the door knob. Surprisingly, the doesn't isn't locked, in fact, it breaks as I turn the door knob, leaving my hand hovering in the air.

"Well... That's one way to do it," Lauren says from behind me. I shout in surprise and spin around as fast as my body can possibly go. She giggles uncontrollably, resulting in her leaning over, holding her stomach.

"You jerk," I joke and shove her playfully. Lauren takes a tumble and ends up falling into an oddly deep bush. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" I call to her.

"Don't be!" She calls back. I hear her dust off her hands on what I assume is her jeans.

"Are you alright?" I lower myself into the prickly bush.

"Yeah," she breathes heavily. "Look at this," I walk, er...try to walk over to her. It's too dark to see where I'm going.

"Hold on," I take my phone out and turn on the flashlight. The LED light shines over a few rocks before I put it eye level. A dead girl lies before me. A hand is pinned to her stomach by an axe. "Oh my freaking gosh," I nearly scream. I'm about ready to make a mad dash out of here, but where did I come from?

Something catches my eye, the 'corpse' is... Breathing?

"Ugh. Lauren!" I exclaim in annoyance. It's a good prank, but I scare to easily.

"Sorry baby, I couldn't resist," she giggles as she sits up and takes the fake axe off of her stomach. "No more pranks."

"Good."

The room we stand in seems to be a secret room. I can't see any signs of escape, not to mention the way we came in. Lauren heads off in one direction while I go another. The room is oddly big for being under a measly little bush. Why was it under a bush anyway? What person would ever have a use for this room? Come to think of it, what are we doing here? We have no use to even be in here.

"I don't think we are going to find any thing in here," I call behind me, where Lauren is supposed to be. No answer. "Lolo! Let's go," I call again. No answer. "I'm done with your playing around! We're leaving now!" I turn around, fed up with her nonsense. I groan when I don't see her. "This is not funny!" Again, no answer. I walk around the room, searching for her. I'm starting to panic when the lights flash on and I'm faced with an ugly sight; the mop of black hair that I've come to hate.

"I wanted Lili or Mitch, but this little one will do," Clayton places a knife on Lauren's neck.

"So you're the murderer?" I gasp in shock. But really, who didn't see this coming?

"No, why do you say that?" He smirks. "I'm not the problem... Ring," he says, I'm confused by his last comment, but then my phone rings. I look back up at Clayton, only to see Lauren standing in front of me.

"Baby, you seem tense. You've been standing there just staring at a wall and mumbling to yourself," she puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Where's Clayton?" I question.

"What? He's not here," her eyes look worried. I notice the loud ringing coming from my pocket once again. Still concerned with what just happened, I answer.

"Jason! Get back to campus. Something happened to Lola, Lili and Mitch. Hurry, please!" I hear Sarah shout into the phone. The line goes dead before I can reply.

"Lauren, we're going now," I grab Lauren's hand and search the room for an exit. I find the opening we came through. Pushing Lauren up, she manages to escape. With our combined strength, I make my way up, too. I grab her hand again and pull her to the car. We get in and then we're off.