Remember Me

Alex's POV

I passed by Brooklyn room and frowned. Someone was crying. I walked into the doorway and saw Mallory in Brooklyn's arms. Brooklyn looked straight at the wall in front of her. No emotion on her face. A blank expression filled her face as fear and sadness filled the other's. She must have told her. 

"Hey...you two okay?" 

"You've known? I'm gonna die...I'm not ready to die, why should I be killed? I've done nothing." 

"I won't let it happen, Mallory I promise." Brooklyn finally removed her eyes from the blank wall. "I wish you could stop it, but don't you see we can't, Brooklyn we've tried, over and over and over again they've killed and haven't been caught. I think I should go home." 

"And go tonight, I won't let it happen Mal I promise-"

"You can't promise, you can't tell me that I'll be safe...I won't, I'm next..." Mallory pushed past me and my eyes followed her out of our house. 

Brooklyn's head was in her hands. She sat on the edge of her bed and let out a sigh. I pushed off the doorway and walked over to her. She didn't look at me when I sat down. I set my arm on her shoulders, but she didn't seem to barely notice. 

"I promise things will get better. Okay? I won't let them hurt you-"

"They won't hurt me, but what about Mallory? What about Steph, what about Tobin? What happens when people even closer to us are gone? This isn't messing with you? I lost my whole family, I don't wanna lose my friends now too." 

"I know, it does bother me, but I've been trying to not break down in front of you. I have been trying to help, but all you've been thinking about is this list, ignore the list please." 

"Yea...you're right, I just need to get my mind off of it." I placed my other arm around her and hugged her. She kept her hand on my shoulder. "let's go watch a movie or something."

"Yea, wanna go see if we can rent that movie coco?"

"Sounds like a great idea." 

~~~~

"Remember me, though I have to say goodbye

Remember me, don't let it make you cry

For even if I'm far away I hold you in my heart

I sing a secret song to you each night we are apart

Remember me, though I have to travel far

Remember me, each time you hear a sad guitar

Know that I'm with you the only way that I can be

Until you're in my arms again

Remember me" I felt her shift in my arms and a small sniffle. I looked down and wiped a tear from her cheek. I paused the movie and sat up a little. "Hey what's wrong?" 

"I-I just wanna know if my siblings still think about me as often as I think about them." 

"Brooklyn what siblings?" She looked at me with watery eyes. "I-Mallory asked me about my family today. I don't remember them much. I had two older sisters, and a younger and older brother. There was five of us. I havent seen them since I was a young kid. My younger brother lived with my grandparents and I for awhile, but...I haven't seen them in years Alex." She burst in to a sobbing mess. 

Her breathing increased and her eyes follwed with tears staining her cheeks by the second. She took in deep breaths but the tears would stop following. 

"Shhh." I rubbed her arm and held close to me. That always seemed to calm her down. Maybe being close to someone made her feel safe. I wasn't gonna let go of her. "Alex...I watched my mom get murdered as a young child. My older brother tried to stop my dad, but failed...he and my mom were kiled by the monster that lived with my family. He was my stepdad, I never met my real dad really he died when I was about a year and a half, I was too young to remember."

"That's why-"

"I don't like the list...I just reminds me of all of them and him especially." 

"Where is your stepdad?" 

"Hopefully still in jail..." 

"I'm sorry Brooklyn." I felt a small nodd against my shoulder and let out a deep breath. Her ryes were closed and shortly after I realized she was asleep. I picked her up and carried her to her room abd tucked her in. I gave her a small kiss on her forehead and one more look before I walked out.

~~~~~~

I woke up and rolled out of bed. I walked downstairs and walked through our living room, but quickly stopped when something on the news caught my eye. 

'Gun shots heard throughout Diamond Bar. Reported 8 deaths including the four school shooters.' I sat down and watched the people talking about it. One occurred at Mallory's house, but it wasn't Mallory. The person that was gonna kill Mallory got killed.

"What the fuck?" I let the words slip out of my mouth in shock. They caught eight of the people behind the list. They're all boys soccer players. That doesn't make sense.

I stood up and turned around to see Brooklyn watching both me and the tv. "Eight of them...gone?" I nodded my head and had a small smile. "Mallory's fine. Her killer was killed." Brooklyn closed her eyes and smiled. I walked over to her and she junped in my arms. 

"I don't know what I would've done without Mal."

"I wonder who killed them all...?" She remained silent and held her grip. "I'm just glad it happened." I was too, but who did it? Something seemed off. 

She looked up at me with her arms still around me. The more and more I thought about it She's always been a touchy person, but I guess it never bothered me. She let go and jogged back up the stairs to her room. She grabbed her soccer bag and we left to go grab breakfast. It was a happy morning oddly, we haven't had on in awhile.