Chapter 3

Mum rang my aunty and asked her to book two tickets flying to Boston. I was thrilled because that was where I was born and I want back since. I presume mum was relived to be going to a place she would know. She lived at Trepello Rd, Waltham for several years, she was happy there. Will she be happy again? Will I ever hear her loud but appealing laugh that I used to hear non-stop. I wondered to myself what would have life been like if dad was never let go at work. I pushed the thought to the side. He wasn't a part of my life anymore. We picked up the tickets from my aunty's house and we were on our way. We arrived at knock airport at six thirty and our flight was at seven thirty. This is it. We were officially moving forward. This is a new beginning for both of us. And we weren't gonna mess up this time. We checked in and waited at the gates. We waited in silence. Finally it was time to board the plane. My heart was racing as soon as we stepped on the plane. There was no turning back now. I actually couldn't believe we were doing this. We always played by the rules. Dad always bosses mum and I around. Now it was our turn to take charge and we were surprisingly doing it well. As soon as the plane doors shut, I closed my eyes and prayed, mum must have noticed me doing so and she wrapped her loving arms around me and whispered "I won't screw up this time my baby, I promise and I never brake my promises you know that. Trust me on this one okay?" I looked at her and her she still looks so beautiful without her makeup and with the bruise on her face. Her skin was flawless and her silky natural blonde hair was tied in a messy bun. Her pierced green eyes meet mine. They are now full of wonder and I see the happy woman who was behind the dull swollen eyes. She kissed my head. "I love you mum" I said and meant it. I felt a long breath come out of her mouth I didn't realise she was holding in. She then cried "I love you Lucy with all my heart."