Chapter 1

I was only six years old when my mum made the courageous decision to leave my father. He was an alcoholic, and my mum was often abused. I came home from school one day to find my mother crying in the corner of our living room. When I approached her she was startled and told me to go to my room and do my homework. I noticed she had a black eye, I cried "mommy did he hit you again" this was the point my mother broke down emotionally, I hugged her and kissed her, trying to comfort her. She whined when I touched her bruise just below her lip. She then said "I made him leave Lucy, we will have to get away from here, sooner than later." She immediately jumped up and was running around the house packing all out belongings, "Sweetie grab 'Jerry Jones' for your room". Jerry Jones was a stuffed animal my aunty 'Izzy' got me when I was three. I immediately had a connection with the stuffed bear, as it was the only friend I had, I didn't fit in with the other kids in school, as According to my teacher Mrs. Connolly was way too mature for my age. I cherished Jerry Jones with all my heart. I ran to my room and packed Jerry Jones and my other belongings into my blue and green poka dot bag.

Mum rang 'Nana' my grandmother telling her the news about my father and that we have to leave before he comes back. I could here my nana crying on the phone, but mum reassure her saying "mum we will be happy again!" Nana then wished her the best of luck and after they exchanged goodbyes we left. Never did I ever see my Father again.