Chapter 33

"I swear to God I haven't met a Haylee in my entire life!" Shane confessed

"Shane! I know her too!" Robert said.

"Shane! Haylee Hudson! You know... the local whore how I call her." Alisha whispered to him. Shane kept starring blankly. "The one you were making out with on the day of Garret's death!"

"Oooh! One of the barbie girls. Yeah... I remember her! So what?"

"You dated her after you were through with Val. " said Robert.

"I did? Did I? No I didn't date her. I just encountered her close." He said.

"Shane, Shane..." Alisha said leaving back to her seat.

"I can't believe you don't remember her!" Robert laughed.

"Hey! I dated many girls! How could I remember everyone that passed through my bed?" Shane laughed. At that moment Valerie arrived with the food. "But I remember you, honey!" He said taking his steak from the plate and slightly brushing his hand across hers.

"Shane, stop!" It was the only thing Valerie said before she left.

"Dick!" Robert said to his friend.

"I was a prick, now I'm a dick." Shane laughed.

"An autobiography by Shane the dick Powell." Robert said.

Shane chuckled as he ate.

The two men finished their meal and stood up. They asked for the bill. When valerie came to take it, Shane caught her by the hand. She firstly looked at him in displeasure but then he slid a 100$ dollar bill in her hands.

"What is this?" She whispered.

"For...both of you" he said pulling her close.

"Shane, I-"

"I have to go. Bye!"

"Shane! Shane!" She called him but he didn't answer.

His gesture was discreet enough not to be noticed by anyone, but Robert. Valerie remained behind and tucked the money in her pocket before returning to the back.

"What was that?" Robert asked getting inside his car.

"Sorry, I'll have to let you drive alone. See you tomorrow if the curiosity won't let you sleep tonight." Shane smiled then started to walk away.

"When I say dick it's dick!" Robert laughed before closing the door and leaving.

Valerie kept thinking about Shane the whole day. Did she still love him? No. He hurt her too bad. But maybe it wasn't his fault. Maybe he was just scared. Maybe he only wants her and the kid back... no she shouldn't try to find excuses for him. He did what he did and now she has to move on. But what if actually...

Doug hadn't had contact with Valerie for some time. He decided to pay her a visit at work. He entered the restaurant.

"Hey ladies!" He smiled.

"Doug!" Valerie said.

"Hello sweetie! I missed you. I wanted to... you know... spend some time with you" Doug winked.

Valerie blankly starred at him. She was still thinking at Shane.

"Doug...sorry...but I really don't feel like it. Maybe another time?" She suggested.

"Oh. Is something wrong? Are you ill?" Doug asked with concern.

"No. It's just... I'm tired." She lied.

"As you wish." He left the restaurant unhappy.